Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rusty gas tank sending unit that I would like to keep using. The tank is long gone and this unit was well encruste with varnish and some rust.

IS there anything I can soak it in that might bring it back to life. Or else something that would let me use it for a few weeks until I can get a new one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a $20 part Joe. Nothing will be worth the trouble of trying to bring it back to life. You can clean it up well enough to use it as a fuel pick-up, but don't count on getting a fuel reading out of it again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's a $20 part Joe. Nothing will be worth the trouble of trying to bring it back to life. You can clean it up well enough to use it as a fuel pick-up, but don't count on getting a fuel reading out of it again.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just need it to hold out for a few weeks. I plan to buy a few thousand dollars of parts within a few weeks. THe local mustang place says $50. I'd rather wait and get it form a magazine for $25. I just need it to hold out that long.

SHOULD I SOAK IT IN SOMETHING? I want to clean it as good as possible until then.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Before you hold out ask your local shop if their 50 part is the USA made scott drake stainless steel version which actually works and uses the ford style brass float and a real filter and is calibrated almost dead on from the factory. or if its the same old POS import that everybody else sells for 25 to 30 bucks. which when the tank is full only reads 3/4's. then make your decision.

Joe

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The repro I bought is off calibration also.

Didnt know the Scott Drake units are so accurate.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scott Drake sells both the USA made one and the Taiwanese one. Make sure which it is when u buy it. Expect to pay about $10.00-15.00 more for the USA one.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
i rebuilt mine that was sticking on different values (especially near 1/2 point). pulled unit and took cover off unit by just bending tabs and removing cover. cleaned wirewound resistor with steel wool and fine sand paper, cleaned pick-up, checked out continuous operation from one end to other, reassembled and it works fine. wirewound resistor is good copper and looks well made. did that because i saw a lot of negative comments on reproductions here on VMF. to check out unit before and after assembly just connect ohmmeter from case to output and note 73 ohms at one end and 10 ohms at other end. Virginia Classic Mustang 2003 catalogue lists reproduction at $25, USA made at $40, and FORD at $100. your choice but that one in your tank if original is probably better than any of others if original. just my 2 millicents worth.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I got mine from NPD and it works perfectly. ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts