Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a heavy surface rust on it. I want to paint it black. What should I prep it with. Paint it with?
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Before you paint it you must get rid of the rust. The rust will just break right through the paint. Some coarse steel wool might work well to remove the rust. After you remove the rust try looking for a rust prevention product from Eastwood's based on your needs. After that, prime then paint. Do not just paint over rust.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If you clean (to get grease/dirt off) it than primer/paint it, it will say ok. the rust will come back in a few years depending on the conditions it is in, and the paint will easily scratch off. to paint it right, you need to get rid of the rust... i doubt steel wool would be sufficient. it needs to be shiny clean in order for the paint to stick right... i would recommend using a wire wheel on your angle grinder. don't waste your time using one on a drill.

the other option is to use por15. or if you are rebulding the unit, have it sandblasted while it is disassembled. don't do this if the trans is still together, because you will inevitably get sand inside the transmission no matter how well you seal it up.

- Jason

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
If it’s not scaling and flaking you can paint POR-15 right on it. If it’s flaking then just hand wire brush it and Paint the POR-15 on it. You must get all of the grease and oil off though because the POR-15 will peal off if you don’t.

Oh, it is also black!

POR-15

·
Registered
201 Posts
I cleaned it with Castrol superclean, then TSP, the sprayed it with rust converter, then satin black rustoleum. POR-15 would've probably worked also.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401796_38.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/401000-401999/401796_34.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
1. Clean / degrease
2. Remove rust scale
3. Eastwood's "rust encapsulator"
4. Eastwood's "Cast blast" - it'll look brand new! ::

1 - 6 of 6 Posts