Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
20190914_135424 by M L, on Flickr

Noico sound deadening mat is mostly installed.

2019-09-08_11-45-27 by M L, on Flickr

Cowl panel is welded back on and I've been slowly dressing the welds.

2019-08-31_12-12-30 by M L, on Flickr

20190808_183325 by M L, on Flickr

Lately I've been trying my creative skills at building Heim joint linkages for the clutch/Z-bar setup. It looks like it will work just fine but won't know for sure until it's all installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Another long overdue update....

2020-01-24_08-11-01 by M L, on Flickr

Spent the last few months finishing up some metal work and collecting pieces. I'm probably 95% finished with the rust repair and patches. Only major thing left is to modify a few aftermarket pieces that don't quite fit correctly (Rear GT valance) and find a good driver's side fender or patch the one I have.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on some aluminum heads and they arrived a few days ago. Still have more parts to collect before finishing the top end of this 390, but now closer than I thought I'd be by now.

2020-01-24_08-10-08 by M L, on Flickr

Another lucky find was this American Autowire full kit still new in the box. Picked it up for less than $300!!!

2020-01-24_08-09-47 by M L, on Flickr

The last major parts addition to my ever growing pile was this brake booster and pedal kit from the owner of MustangSteve.com. Recently discovered that he was in the same city I'm in and he was kind enough to let me drop by and pick it up. Great guy and knows he his stuff!! I'll update more as I install his kit. Since I'm going from manual to power brakes it looks like i'll be modifying the firewall....More metal work I guess.

2020-01-24_08-09-38 by M L, on Flickr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Spent the afternoon installing the new MustangSteve booster along with my new pedal support. The old support had been "Fixed" sometime before we got the car 20+ years ago. That fix involved brazing a stack of washers on each side of the pedal support. I figured i'd be ahead of the game by just buying a new one. The only major issue I ran in to was finding out that the top of the pedal support hit the bottom of the cowl panel. I used Spectra patch panels when I repaired the cowl and they were not shaped exactly like the '67 cowl. Also, when I installed the cowl patch panels I had already removed the pedal support or I would have found the clearance issue way back then. It only took removing a few 16th's off the top of the support in order for it to line up correctly. I should mention that the aftermarket pedal support matched my OEM one perfectly, it would have been one of the few pieces I didn't have to adjust if I had caught the cowl issue earlier.

The rest of the process was simple enough with the directions that were provided. Cut firewall, drill holes to 1/2", drill out unused factory hole at dimple, paint and install.

2020-01-25_05-36-18 by M L, on Flickr

2020-01-25_05-36-46 by M L, on Flickr

2020-01-25_05-37-13 by M L, on Flickr

2020-01-25_05-37-33 by M L, on Flickr

2020-01-25_05-38-12 by M L, on Flickr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
A little shop time today was enough to get the steering column installed. Overall an easy job even doing it by myself. Trying to get ready to begin the American Autowire install.

IMG_20200127_181133 by M L, on Flickr

IMG_20200127_181149 by M L, on Flickr
 
81 - 87 of 87 Posts
Top