Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the internet and the forums, and I'm at a loss. I've found plenty of info on doing the terminator IRS in a '65, but I can't find anything on putting a '15+ IRS in one. I'm finding the entire cradle available for roughly 6-700 bucks; rear brakes, suspension, posi traction.. the whole 9 yards.

I feel like there should be a cradle for sale where we could adapt them to our cars. I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of the swap and I really thought I'd find more chatter about it online. Am I over looking something that makes this swap impossible? I would think a tubular subframe that mounts to the frame rails would do the trick. Use the front leaf spring mounts for bracing/angle adjustments.

I don't particularly want/need IRS, but I do want the disc brakes and posi traction. Seems like a very affordable way to make this happen if it can be mounted somewhat affordably. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel here?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think the biggest issue you'd have would be the track width. The track for the 15+ Stang is 10 inches wider than a 1965. I think it would be expensive unless you have a lot of fabrication skills and even then, you'd need to hack up the suspension so much it might not handle any better than a well sorted 1965.

IMO, if all you're after is disc brake and a posi, it would be a heckuva lot easier and cheaper to just buy a rear disc kit and a new third member for your live axle.

-Shannon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the biggest issue you'd have would be the track width. The track for the 15+ Stang is 10 inches wider than a 1965. I think it would be expensive unless you have a lot of fabrication skills and even then, you'd need to hack up the suspension so much it might not handle any better than a well sorted 1965.

IMO, if all you're after is disc brake and a posi, it would be a heckuva lot easier and cheaper to just buy a rear disc kit and a new third member for your live axle.

-Shannon
I had looked at the track width and I thought it was closer to 7 inches, but yes, that would be an obstacle to overcome. I thought a flatter wheel with more offset could compensate for it. Maybe do a flare on the rear. I just hate seeing an ocean of great parts that we can't use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One option if you really want to look at it would be to get ahold of factory five, not sure if they would help you, but they build narrowing kits for their cars. You could at least see about getting arms and axles.

I can't post the link, but search for factory five IRS and you should be able to find a gallery on their site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I think it's a great idea and surprised it's not commercially available and mainstream by now. There was a Russian restomod shop developing a cradle. See link below, for $5K they were offering a bolt in deal, less the s550 centre, hubs and brakes. So it's doable

·
Registered
845 Posts
It is a cool idea, only worth it if you are deadset on having IRS. You can get a rear disc setup and a locker for close to $1k. If you have the fab skills then try it out ! No way in hell i would pay to have that conversion done. Shop time would kill you !

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you want a killer rear suspension i would jump on the TCP Pushrod setup over grafting a IRS to it. After the IRS is butchered to work in early car im betting it looses any advantages

1 - 8 of 8 Posts