Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...

·
Registered
78 Posts
They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
These laws and ordinances are enacted by elected representatives. Either the majority of people living in the county want things this way, or the officials can be replaced and the laws changed.

My money, by the way, is on the former. Most people, it seems, think anyone who doesn't just drive their late-model car (because nobody should own an old junker) down to the dealer (because independent repair shops are all sketchy) is going to turn the whole neighborhood into a slum with cars up on blocks in the front yard. They don't care one bit about you or your hobbies or the ever-growing encroachment of government into your life and property or your right to enjoy them both, as long as everything looks nice when they drive down the street. They won't care about anything at all until the county outlaws golf courses or Facebook.

:(

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
They do that because of Fire danger and crappy neighbors that don't get it. Your not supposed to work on your cars here in San Francisco but it's not like they drive around looking, but if someone calls then they will come out. Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine.
Crappy neighbors that dont get it? That's a very much subjective statement isn't it? Do you own your property or does the county own it? I understand the intent of people wanting to keep their property values high because they consider things the neighbors do to be eyesores...but in the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I find a couple of neighbors of mine with an excessive amount of flower beds to be an eyesore...but that is just me. I find neighbors shooting off fireworks for the 2 weeks surround the 4th of July to be obnoxious...but again, thats MY problem, not theirs. I am sure some neighbors of mine are annoyed because I go 2 weeks between mowing my lawn...but that is their problem, not mine. I OWN my property..they OWN theirs...neither should be able to have any say what happens on that property as long as it doesn't endanger others

·
Registered
934 Posts
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...
I know what you are talking about. Same overload of regulations here too. Also the lack of law, justice, etc... let’s go for a Tea Party.!

Josep

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
most laws like the ones indicated are designed to prevent someone at a residence from operating a business in the residential area. the problem is when code enforcement officers go overboard in writing citations to innocent people just doing work on their own personal cars.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It’s a stupid law. Hopefully it won’t pass.

Keep the garage door closed so no one can see what you’re doing.
Or do your work in the back yard.
And don’t keep the compressor running late at night.

I can distill all the liquor I want for my own personal use. As long as I don’t sell, distribute, or advertise what I’m doing in any way.
Yes, I know the law says otherwise but no one is going to come kicking in my door.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In my old neighborhood one of my crappy neighbors was running an auto repair business out of his house.

8-12 cars parked in the yard, tow trucks coming and going at all hours, air compressor running as late as 1-2am, piles of junk at the curb that the county wouldnt pick up.

Yeah, some people dont get it.

Running an air compressor during the night is something I would never do. Or having piles for junk at the curb. This is just bad behavior. But I also don't want to get limited by law to e.g. oil changes. People should be reasonable in their actions.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Guys it's Jalopnik. They live on controversy and getting you to click. Read what the law says and not what some headline says. It is not illegal to work on your car in Sacramento County.

Those sorts of restrictions are in many cities around the country not just California. The big one in Sacramento County seems to be painting a car in your garage or leaving it parked outside for more than a day. Here there are similar restrictions mostly to stop unlicensed auto repair and body shops. We had an unlicensed paint and body shop and another guy that ran a repair shop in the neighborhood. They both got shut down. When I was racing code enforcement was by a couple of times thinking that me and a couple of my neighbors were running a chop shop.

Some of you need to give the California hate a rest. I see it's fashionable here to pile on to a place you don't like basically because it's different, or at least you think it's different, than you. When I was touring for the better part of 30 years I got to work in every single state in the union and dozens of countries. People as a whole are not that different deep down. Give it a rest. There are plenty the Californians could say about places other people live but are being polite. Don't feel compelled to judge others about what it's like where they live or lest you be judged about where you live.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It’s a stupid law. Hopefully it won’t pass.
I believe it already has.
Yes, I know the law says otherwise but no one is going to come kicking in my door.
Not unless someone decides to turn you in for whatever reason, or the BATFE catches wind of it.

https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

While individuals of legal drinking age may produce wine or beer at home for personal or family use, Federal law strictly prohibits individuals from producing distilled spirits at home (see 26 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5042(a)(2) and 5053(e)). Producing distilled spirits at any place other than a TTB-qualified distilled spirits plant can expose you to Federal charges for serious offenses and lead to consequences including, but not necessarily limited to, the following:

Within title 26 of the United States Code, section 5601 sets out criminal penalties for activities including the following. Offenses under this section are felonies that are punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " - Ronald Reagan

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sac county is pretty dang big and has a lot of rural area. Haven't had time (and probably wont make time) to read the particulars specifically the zoning details. This sounds like something that may be selectively enforced in the more densely populated areas to rout out the nuisance home auto repair businesses.

I used to run the bead blast cabinet late at night but I did check with the neighbors to ensure it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I live in Sac County. I am not running a business out of my garage. I have zero worries but appreciate you posting the link.

As for living in California, I could care less what others think of this magnificent state. Expensive, yep. liberal, yep in some places, high humidity, nope, frozen tundra in the winter, nope, drive your vert year round, yep. I have lived here 48 or my 48 years and there is nowhere else I would ever live.

·
Premium Member
10,762 Posts
There are cities in socal where it is illegal to work on your car. In the early 1990's a guy I know got a ticket for changing spark plugs in his drive way in vinice beach. In another area(I dont remember the name) it is illegal to change a flat tire on your car even in your own driveway. A friend got a ticket for doing that. Another friend lived in an area in florida and it is illegal to park a pickup truck out in the open in your driveway. He had a very nice el camino and got a ticket and was told it had to be in a garage but a sedan can be parked out in the open. In socal where i live it is illegal to park a vehicle that doesnt run out in the open in your driveway. Even if it is a bran new car and wont start you either have to have it taken to a repair shop or put it in a garage. Back in 1986 when I lived in houston a guy in the apt building where I lived had a 1960's pontiac station wagon with faded paint. It was his only car and he drove it to work. It got towed under a blight law. The law stated that vehicles that were considered blight were towed away. That law eventually got changed. I got towed from the complex because the tow company said my car had not moved in weeks. I drove the car everyday and was able to park in front of my apt everyday because there were many empty apts. I had to pay money to get my car and rotated parking spots. Back in the 90's here in cali the legislature was trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to work on your own car,close all auto parts stores and make it where you had to take your car to the dealer you bought it from for maintaince and repair. The law never got passed, at least not yet. There are lots of other car laws that are on the books and more are in the works because of the stupidity that cars are causing climate change from the co2 they blow. Gas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2. If you gotta work on it try to do it either in mississippi or behind a solid tall fence or in a garage out of sight.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.