Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
“Gas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2.”

Not true.
CO2 is product of combustion. No matter what type of hydrocarbon is burned.
Gas engines produce both CO2 and CO.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you go to the forum listed in the article it's one guy that's complaining. In the thread the guy admits to having a shop on the property and also owns a shop in town. He has a lift, says it's not installed but swears he wasn't doing any work that's not allowed. He's saying it's $700 to appeal a civil code enforcement action. I can't find anything to support that.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Back in the 90's here in cali the legislature was trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to work on your own car,close all auto parts stores and make it where you had to take your car to the dealer you bought it from for maintenance and repair. The law never got passed, at least not yet.
They'll find it extremely difficult to enforce any law that suggests only being able to take a vehicle back to a dealer for repair work.... warranty or other repair work.
Magnuson-Moss speaks to this at the FTC level and supersedes the state (any state).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/03/nixing-fix-warranties-mag-moss-restrictions-repairs

I'm involved in an organization that watchdogs auto repair stuff at the federal level.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In this day and age, it would be interesting to see the interworking's of California (State & Local) vs. Federal law...

·
Registered
663 Posts
"...Furthermore, this kind of activity [working on cars] increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property values.​"

WHAT?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -George Will, Quoted in Frederick (Md.) News, 19 July 1976. February 1976, Sunday News Journal (Wilmington, DE), pg. 9, col. 1:
Yankee Joke, Sen. Edmund D. Muskie, D-Maine. May 1976, Arcadia Tribune, pg. D4, col. 4:
Rep. John Rousselot

FIFY.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
“Gas engines blow carbon monoxide not co2.”

Not true.
CO2 is product of combustion. No matter what type of hydrocarbon is burned.
Gas engines produce both CO2 and CO.
In fact a typical engine produces about 500 grams of CO2 per mile and about 3 grams of CO.

·
Premium Member
10,763 Posts
They'll find it extremely difficult to enforce any law that suggests only being able to take a vehicle back to a dealer for repair work.... warranty or other repair work.
Magnuson-Moss speaks to this at the FTC level and supersedes the state (any state).

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/03/nixing-fix-warranties-mag-moss-restrictions-repairs

I'm involved in an organization that watchdogs auto repair stuff at the federal level.
There was a big backlash from people that moved here from another state and people living here that moved to a different area and people with vehicles bought from dealers that had folded.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
It isn't just out west. Here in Texas where I live the tax board tried to tax my shop as a business. I had to go down and file a protest on it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
It isn't just out west. Here in Texas where I live the tax board tried to tax my shop as a business. I had to go down and file a protest on it.

So do you just get a refund then as you are just pouring money into your own car?? Seems fair to me. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Don't make a spectacle of yourself and you'll be fine. I live in a place that could use more restrictions now that rednecks have money so I'm going to move. I don't really have a problem with that as long as the rednecks are also paying taxes.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Is anyone really surprised at this?!???

Pretty soon they'll be fining Californians for Breathing Fresh air and expelling Carbon Dioxide!!!

Another reason to not even consider living/moving to California...

Only real "oppressionists" could take such a beautiful state and make it unlivable...

"Just work with the door closed and you will probably be fine."

That's the whole point... You shouldn't have to close your garage....(outside of an HOA area.) This is America.

...Like you working on your car doing an oil change or tune-up on your own driveway (is a dirty thing)...

Give me a break.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
20,317 Posts
One of the reasons I moved from Germany to the USA was the overload of regulations in Germany. Seems like California wants to catch up and establish a stupid law for everything...
That’s why I live in rural Pennsylvania. Nobody cares what you do. A carry and conceal permit to carry a hand gun cost $20 and 10 minutes of your time if you’re so inclined

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Back in the 90's here in cali the legislature was trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to work on your own car,close all auto parts stores and make it where you had to take your car to the dealer you bought it from for maintaince and repair.
I would have remembered that. I don't remember it. Are you sure that was a thing?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I live in Sac County. I am not running a business out of my garage. I have zero worries but appreciate you posting the link.

As for living in California, I could care less what others think of this magnificent state. Expensive, yep. liberal, yep in some places, high humidity, nope, frozen tundra in the winter, nope, drive your vert year round, yep. I have lived here 48 or my 48 years and there is nowhere else I would ever live.
That article is a bit far-fetched, and sensationalized for the press, but they do keep an eye on things here.

I live in Sacramento, average very middle-class neighborhood, and I've been working on my cars at home since I got here 30 yrs ago. I don't leave a mess of cars out, but a couple months ago I removed the transfer case out of my BMW X5 suv that was parked in the street. I zip-tied up the drive shafts, but one fell down and was very visible to passing cars. Within a week I had a big orange code enforcement warning that in 48 hours the vehicle would be towed at my expense because it was non-functioning and on the city streets. That was my bad, I shouldn't have done that. It's probably good they keep an eye on things because or else it'd be a big mess out there of broken cars and it'd hurt home values.

All sorts of cars around in various states of repair, but as long as it's on your property, they leave you alone, as long as you aren't in a tight HOA or CC&R zone.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Life is about options. I can live in a more restricted area if I want, with all the perks and quirks that go along with it. I can also live in the middle of a forest where I can pretty much do whatever I want. I chose the latter. But it’s pretty much my choice either way.

·
Registered
20,317 Posts
I’ve been following this web site pertaining to daily crude oil prices and related news. It’s actually pretty interesting. One of the topics was the law suites brought on by several big cities through out the US on carbon emissions against big oil. One of the interesting things in all cases it was the same law firm. The article went on to say a lot of the laws written by some of these environmentalist were so poorly crafted it appeared deliberate that the cases would be thrown out of court to big oils favor. The cities lost money but the law form that but these cities up to it came out the winner. It’s probably something similar for publicity

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Some of you need to give the California hate a rest. I see it's fashionable here to pile on to a place you don't like basically because it's different, or at least you think it's different, than you.
I live in this state of California...people are crazy here. Soo, so, backwards in so many ways. I don't get the laws they're making these days. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile...what's next.

·
Premium Member
10,763 Posts
I would have remembered that. I don't remember it. Are you sure that was a thing?
yes it was. Me and other friends made many calls to Sacramento and raised hell about it. Iirc it was on the TV news and in the LA Times once. You got to look at the news paper everyday and the TV news or radio news everyday. Lots of stuff going on that you only hear about once. I have lived in LA since 1987 and been hot rodding since 1973. There has been talk in Sacramento the past several years about passing a lot to make ALL 1997-2007 light duty diesel pickups install a DPF system. Problem is the expense and nobody making a retrofit for light dutys right now. I have a 2001,2002, and 2006 diesel pickups and am keeping my ear open to stand against this.

·
Premium Member
10,763 Posts
Some of you need to give the California hate a rest. I see it's fashionable here to pile on to a place you don't like basically because it's different, or at least you think it's different, than you.
well we are NOT going to give it a rest. We like the climate, the land , the location but we HATE the dictating politicians that are telling us what we can and cant drive and what kind of light bulb we can have. I am surprised they havent dictated what kind of geetar amp we can have. You cant do this you cant so that inside your own house. It is illegal to have a home recording studio in your house where you write songs and sell them in a residential area. I could get fined for having my drums,guitars,hammond C3 , Tascam reel to reels, Midas mixer , etc in my house that I use to write and record my own songs because I live in a residential area. I am not bothering anyone and my place is soundproof and you cant hear anything on the outside. But dictater politicians dont care. There is less freedom in cali then in new york. I have also lived in Atlanta, VA Beach, Iowa, Wyoming,Texas,mississippi, and probably somewhere else I forgot about. I just got back from a trip to new york and the deep south. I like cali but hate the politicians of all parties here. Its all about controlling what you do. There was a news article a while back that said San Francisco was going after home dwellers that using their garage for storage. WTF ! A while back in georgia a couple was fined because there 2 daughters came to vist during spring break. They went to different collages and each had a car. The local law stated that all vehicles must be parked inside a garage overnight. No parking in the driveway overnight. WTF ! They have a 2 car garage that there cars are in. What are the 2 daughters suppose to do ? So there was an uprising and I didnt hear anymore about what happened.

PS. You dont even live here so whats it to you ?

21 - 40 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.