Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for Most Mustangs in Vermot the season is coming to an end.So how do people store the Mustangs for the winter? I plan on takeing the engine out and doing some work to it so that should be a problem in storeing that. Fuel tank has a plug so I will drain that.

I know I will here from some sunshine states that tell me they just drive them all year. Not Fair but give me a chance to work on it more.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I would put some gas in the tank and just put stabil with it. Keeps moisture from building up in there and rusting out your tank.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Speaking of the sunshine states hope our fellow VMFrs in southern Cal survived
the fires. Here in Wisconsin I prep my Mustang for winter with some Stabil in
the gas. It stays in the garage with our other collector and the snow blower.
The daily drivers get to sit outside as usual!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I put Stabil in the tank, fill it up and run it for a short time to get the Stabil in the whole system up to the carb. I have two tarps I park it on top of in the garage I was told would help with moisture, may not be needed, but I figure it couldn't hurt for the $10 I paid for the tarps. I slightly over fill the tires to 40psi to help prevent flat spots. I have a thin car cover I put on it that helps keep the dust off it. The last thing I have is a "float" charger I hook to the battery every few weeks to keep it charged.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I do nothing other than keep her dry & covered in the garage, then she is ready whenever I am.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Fill the tank with Sunoco premium (or equivalent), do the Stabil thing, undo the fuel line from the carb (run the line into a jar) and run the car til it stalls for lack of fuel to drain the carb. Yank the battery (or at least disconnect it) and put it on a maintenance trickle charger, stuff some socks over the exhaust to discourage l'il critters from nesting up there, put a good car cover over it and then watch "Bullitt" periodically, preferably with the TV in the garage to keep the two of you company ;),
and watch the months s-l-o-w-l-y trickle by....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have put my '68 up for the season for 30 years now. The biggist issue is rust. Especially from condensation typical of a January thaw. Do what you can for ventilation within the car and under the body. I use Fluid Film in every crevis.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
ianm said:
Well for Most Mustangs in Vermot the season is coming to an end.So how do people store the Mustangs for the winter? I plan on takeing the engine out and doing some work to it so that should be a problem in storeing that. Fuel tank has a plug so I will drain that.

I know I will here from some sunshine states that tell me they just drive them all year. Not Fair but give me a chance to work on it more.
Hey, their are some fellow Canadians up here that have to do sadly put away their 'Stangs, but with this climate change thing, we may soon be able to drive them year round...look at the weather we've had this fall...just amazing....nevertheless, we'll get snow one way or another...I'll think of you when we get our first snow storm... :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why do you drain the fuel out of the carbs?

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Letting fuel sit for extended periods allows the solvents to evaporate and what's left turns to a sticky tar-like substance that gums up the works.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I keep mine in a garage heated to 50degrees min in the winter and I run them once a month.

You weren't quite clear in your post. Do you mean that you are pulling the engine and working on the engine or are you working on the body ?

I'll assume you meant you are working on the body. I would just put some stabilizer in the gas and run the car a little bit so that the stabilized gas makes it into the carb. I would then pull the motor and wrap in plastic. Using real heavy duty garbage bags would be prefered. For real long storage times, I would squirt some WD40 into each cylinder (remembering to put the plugs back in after).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts