Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on getting my 1968 Mustang back up and running. Found the block leaking. I got this car 30 years ago so at this point I have no choice I need to do something. So I am thinking a new crate motor. Any advice? I am looking for around 450hp, roller cam and lifters so I dont have to mess with lash. I plan on putting a Tremec TKX and a Holley super sniper on it with some FBA headers. My engine has a Victor Jr. Intake and the heads are cast ported polished with harlem sharp rocker arms. Maybe I could use those and save me some money?
I don't know, at this point it seems like I am going to be broke no matter what way I go. I could tear it down and get a new block but it seems like its not really cost effective. I want this to be my "daily driver" ( but only seasonal) and to take it to the track maybe once or twice a year for fun.
Water Fluid Liquid Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This motor I have is a 351W and already 400+ HP. The leak is coming from a crack in the block it looks like to me. The work involved combined with the cost I am considering a new crate engine and putting what I can use off my engine on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Could it be a freeze plug leaking and not the block?
I am pretty sure it was the head gasket leaking down. In the process of putting a new head gasket on, a little bit after work each day. I put a rag above the dripping spot and it stopped and I saw water at the head gasket and not on the head so I hope I got it right =).
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts