Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at a show and saw a 66 fastback with the 'A' arm Shelby drop and 620 front springs.
While I don't believe what he said about a comfortable ride for the front springs, what is the consensus. 620's to hard?

But also, if I did the A arm drop could I re-use the upper and lower A arms ? or should I?

I'm a classics guy and thought if I just kept the old originals springs what amount of labor would I be losing to reuse the old parts? Is a new spring really gonna change anything?

I would also convert to original Kelsey hayes Disc's at the same time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I did the Arning/Shelby drop about 5 years ago I reused my upper and lower control arms.
I did replace my spring perches though... I wish now that I had gone ahead and spent the money on roller spring perches.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Mine's a little different. When i re-did my suspension, I purchased opentracker's upper and lower DYI roller kits. An eBay used set of upper and lower control arms to do the mods to so as to not destroy my originals in case I ever want to put it back to true original suspension. I got the roller perch's and re used my original springs. I hope to be able to tell you how it rides in a couple of months, after it gets painted and running.

P

·
0 Posts
If they are in good shape, there is no reason to to reuse them. But if they need rebuilt ot replaced, that is a good time to do so.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Reusing them is not a problem but repair the upper shafts and replace the ball joints if needed, also a good time to go with roller perches if you like. Also I have found that the Arning drop will lower the front of the car 5/8ths of an inch. I have also found that it is best to only do one suspension mod at a time. Do the Arning drop and then see how you like it. If you want it lower then go with different springs. If you do springs with the drop you just don't know where the car will end up. The result can be a car that is way too low.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
The short answer is yes it really does make a big difference. I replaced my UCA's and LCA's with new Moog parts as my old ones were the originals and weren't properly centered as well as the ball joints were shot. I looked into buying the new kits but after buying the kits and the time you put into them it's about the same price as it would cost to buy brand new, so I bought brand new made in the USA Moog uppers and lowers. The roller spring perches make for a much more comfortable ride, I also got all new tie rod ends, 620 springs from maier racing and sport valved bilstein shocks from maier as well. I just recently ordered adjustable strut rods and a boss 302 style engine crossmember that ties into the LCA's so that will make a big difference in ride quality and handling as well. It's a day and night difference from what I had before in terms of ride quality and handling. I had kyb gas a joke shocks as well as the stock coil and leaf springs and they were so bouncy that it made the car not fun to drive. Depending on what you want to do with the car and how much you want to spend, I would recommend some of the following to help get you where you want:

- Shelby drop
- New/rebuilt UCA's/LCA's, or check your old ones for wear
- Roller spring perches from opentracker
- New tie rod ends or check all your old ones for wear
- Quality shocks like Bilstein, Koni etc
- New coil springs, doesn't have to be 620, GT coils I'm sure would work just fine
- 1" or larger front sway bar
- Monte Carlo bar and export brace
- Boss 302 style engine crossmember
- Adjustable strut rods
- Proper alignment afterward

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
i never had a problem with an original uca
The issues I had with my originals were that they weren't centered properly, which I hear isn't uncommon. Because of them not being centered and having been on the car for 50 years they were pitted, rusty and dented. I initially bought the Moog rebuild kits for them but when taking the old ones apart they were badly stripped that I bought new Moog uppers that are made in the USA and are centered properly as I don't know how to weld nor do I have access to a welder

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
No reason not to reuse either the uppers or lowers if they're in good condition. I would pay especially close attention to the lower control arm bushings, they take a lot of abuse.

You're going to find lovers and haters of the roller spring perches and wether they're worth it or not. I did my whole front end in one shot. It is all bearing. Despite going to stiffer GT coil springs, the car rides softer, smoother. It just glides over bumps and pot holes. It rides like a 60's Lincoln. I've since swapped out the $13 Monroes and went to the Bilsteins Sports. Still a very comfortable but firm ride. Great cruising car now.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Last Fall I did the UCA drop along with cutting a half loop from my 620's I have KYB gas a just as well the ride in my opinion (everyone knows what they are like) really isn't to bad on a good road ,start hitting potholes and it gets bad fast .I built some adjustable Heim joint strut rods that actually improve the ride over my old strut rods with poly bushings (no give).
As far as using your old UCA if they are in good shape sure reuse them
also how low is to low:shrug: Remember about those "opinions"

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
No reason not to reuse either the uppers or lowers if they're in good condition. I would pay especially close attention to the lower control arm bushings, they take a lot of abuse.

You're going to find lovers and haters of the roller spring perches and wether they're worth it or not. I did my whole front end in one shot. It is all bearing. Despite going to stiffer GT coil springs, the car rides softer, smoother. It just glides over bumps and pot holes. It rides like a 60's Lincoln. I've since swapped out the $13 Monroes and went to the Bilsteins Sports. Still a very comfortable but firm ride. Great cruising car now.
What are the haters saying about the roller spring perches? I've not heard of any haters for the roller sprint perches other than the price being a bit on the high side.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Last Fall I did the UCA drop along with cutting a half loop from my 620's I have KYB gas a just as well the ride in my opinion (everyone knows what they are like) really isn't to bad on a good road ,start hitting potholes and it gets bad fast .I built some adjustable Heim joint strut rods that actually improve the ride over my old strut rods with poly bushings (no give).
As far as using your old UCA if they are in good shape sure reuse them
Very true. On a smooth road or highway they're fine but as soon as there are bumps or divots in the road or any imperfections it gets unbearable rather quickly.

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
What are the haters saying about the roller spring perches? I've not heard of any haters for the roller sprint perches other than the price being a bit on the high side.

I was a little apprehensive at first. Typically you don't use roller or needle bearings for static loads. The roller or needle bearings will leave indentaions in the races. They do actually have shelf live for this reason even if they've never been used and NIB. But there are some rated for static loads. But I suppose worst case they would outlast a rubber bushings. There is the reasoning that the range they move is not enough that a rubber bushing would add or cause any limitations or resistance in movement. I see it that a roller bearing isn't going to hurt either.

My whole front end is tubular arms and all bearing. I justified it because it's my focal point. Some guys spend money on paint, stroker engines or interiors. The suspension was the only real place I spend money and I have no issues with that. The car drives nice and that's what I wanted. No compaints and I'd do it all over again exactly.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,729 Posts
The short answer is yes it really does make a big difference. I replaced my UCA's and LCA's with new Moog parts as my old ones were the originals and weren't properly centered as well as the ball joints were shot. I looked into buying the new kits but after buying the kits and the time you put into them it's about the same price as it would cost to buy brand new, so I bought brand new made in the USA Moog uppers and lowers.
Funny, I've seen quite a few posts here regarding Made in US, Moog control arms. I've been buying Moog front end parts all my life. I received them 3 weeks ago but when I opened the box I was disappointed to see Made in China.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm doubtful any of the aftermarket upper or lower control arms for the stock suspension are made in the US. I'd be interested in knowing if the aftermarket arms are as good as or better then our originals.

david

1 - 20 of 26 Posts