Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post all of the safety items you would have/precautions you would/should(hehe) take while using a MIG. Thanks-

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'd have to say welding leathers. More than once when under the car welding, I caught my shirt on fire. I kept smelling this odd odor, and noticed that my sleeve was smoldering...

Reactions: Israel

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
Welding helmet
leather gloves
long sleeves (leather a plus)
welding blanket (as needed)
fire extinguisher
ventillation.

Reactions: Huskinhano
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks... It's getting to the point where I need to weld now... cowl's almost exposed...

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I posted some in another thread yesterday on welding...

Personal....leathers (capesleeve at least), gauntlet gloves, quality helmet, head cover for OOP welding. Flame resistant clothing (I wear treated cotton rather than synthetics). Leather metal toe boots and cotton or wool socks. Breathing protection if welding vaporous metals (like galvanized and some alloys).

Shop.....welding area with flammables/combustibles off of floor and at least 20' away(since most sparks end up there). Metal structure vs wood if possible. Fire extinguishers, both at the welder and distant (if you can't get to the one on the welder). When welding in a vehicle, I have kept an extinguisher in there with me.

Lastly, pay attention. I stop, lift the hood and look around occasionally when doing long stretches (like building up shafts or doing long welds on structural steel). Have caught many a smoldering grease rag that way, some as far as 20-25' away. I work in a metal shop with very few things which can burn, but there are some and there's always hydraulic oil and cleaning solvents so, not wanting to lose my investment or my life, I'm watchful.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have other great suggestions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Be sure to cover all body parts. I just got the worst sun burn ever. In the garage on a rainy day. I did not follow the others rules. I got burned in the arm pits and legs. You guessed it, shorts and short sleeve shirt. It was really hot and humid that day. The light made it to places that never get the light if you were dressed that way out doors.
Also when on your back welding above you. Where flame retardent clothing. I had some good flames going last winter and did not know it until I finished and dropped the mask. The right arm of my sweat shirt was gone.
I guess what I am saying is don't do whatever I do!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good info, especially for novice welders like me. Also watch out welding near fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
And how the hell has the OP been a member since 1969?
Back in the old days a person could post on this forum without registering and his user name would appear as "Guest". So if the OP never registered then obviously the software has merely assigned him the 1969 registration date.

And I would say that the newbie who revived this thread is a spammer trying to sell something since his text includes a link.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
I always thought while oxy acetylene welding that T shirt, shorts, sun glasses and sandals was going overboard on safety equipment.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ha! How did this happen?! Did I do this? I think I clicked on a ’recommended reading’ thread at the bottom of another thread or something. Didn’t realize it was from 2003! Very much a pet peeve of mine when people resurrect ancient threads. Sorry!

Do you guys not realizes this thread is from 2003? And how the hell has the OP been a member since 1969?

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Ha! How did this happen?! Did I do this? I think I clicked on a ’recommended reading’ thread at the bottom of another thread or something. Didn’t realize it was from 2003! Very much a pet peeve of mine when people resurrect ancient threads. Sorry!
A spammer revived the thread and then you responded to his response. The spammer's response has been deleted so it looks like you are the one who resurrected a 13 year old thread.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
I often lock a thread after it's been resurrected by a spammer but this is one of those that's still just as good as it was 17 years ago. Safety tips and reminders never really get old.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
13 years or even weeks ago when you could still find 3M N95 maskso_O
Don't think you're tough that the fumes and particulates aren't bothering you, THEY WILL!

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
A bit off the topic but welding and welding safety related. I guess maybe close to 15 years ago was a welding post from a moped forum that went viral. It was epic. The poster from the moped forum was one of those guys who shouldn't be allowed to own tools. He was "building" a new exhaust for his moped. It was hilarious. Imagine worst case scenario. His fabrication work was crude. He never welded before and it showed. All gumball. Ignored even basic common sense safety. Half of the posters were mocking him and the other half were equally incompetent and cheering him on for his extrodenary skills. It finally got yanked. Anybody remember it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts