Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Safety

5K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  5speed65 
#1 ·
I was at an autocross yesterday were a car under throttle went a long way off the course and hit a spectator. Although it did not result in a fatality it no doubt changed that person and loved ones life forever along with the driver of the car. I am not the National Inquirer so I won't speculate or add details to what happened other than I never want to experience it again or be the cause. I know most people have stories of what happened at the track and this thread is most definitely not about those stories. I want to try to make my Mustang as safe as possible for those around me first, and then for me.
As the car sits now,
Up front 12 1/2" MS 2008 GT brake kit with EBC rotors and Red Stuff pads.
Out back stock 1965 drum brakes in good working order. One of the drums is still original.
Wilwood proportioning valve installed under the dash within easy reach.
1998 Windstar (I think) master cylinder with a 7" single diaphragm communist power booster. I know power brakes are frowned on by you racers but I have some physical limitations with sciatica and feel they are a necessary evil. I have never been happy with the feel of the booster but I can lock up all 4 at will. I plan on installing hydro boost this winter.
Front spindles are communist big pin.
Dan rebuilt steering box and power steering stuff with a KRC PS pump and Shelby quick steer arms with roller bushings.
Front seats are vintage style Cobra buckets but only with lap belts.

I know a lot of you use the big drum rear brakes and I am looking for the best mechanical backup emergency brake or something if the hydraulic system should fail. I know when I had regular tires pulling the brake handle would lock up the rear drums but not even close with the bigger sticky tires. How effective is the E-brake with the bigger drums? I plan on putting a modern style handle between the seats for convenience. I've lost the brakes on more than 1/2 a dozen cars in my life and it has never been fun. Losing my brakes on course has been keeping me up at night for a while and yesterday, even though it wasn't most likely a brake failure, has me freaked out about brakes even more.

Should I add some kind of cut off switch if the throttle should stick? But if I do that the lack of power minimizes my ability to steer and brake.

I know I need much more seat restraint. Do I put a harness bar or a roll bar in. I don't want to cage the car and feel I'm nearing the point of no return on it turning into a race car. The wife has to sell it when I die and race cars are a limited and losing market.

I really enjoy autocross and I and the car have become very competitive in the last few years but by the nature of racing you are always at the limit and sometimes in finding that limit you go over it. I don't know if I could live with myself if I caused a bystander or competitor death or disfigurement. I am always driving the oldest car competing with the least safety equipment. I guess if I'm going to continue to pursue this hobby I want to make my car as safe as any other car competing.

Responses, but not your track horror stories, would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#52 ·
Good news! With updated rules and guidelines in place we were able finish the South Bend region SCCA season at the Tire Rack today! I lost the day and season by 0.31 seconds to Gary in a Fox Body but I had a great time and it was good to be back.

#53 ·
Nail, for those like me, who don't know anything about where this was or what happened, what happened and where ? I do like that we are discussing safety, and you've made me think about replacing my brake lines with stainless. But I like to look at accidents and try to disect whatever happend and figure it out so I can make changes to avoid the same problem. Spectators are crazy sometimes. But if I hurt or killed someone, even if it weren't my fault, not sure how I would deal with it. Would like to learn from others and hopefully, G-d willing, never face that situation. LSG

#54 ·
A spectator who was were they shouldn't have been ended up under a car. Many broken bones and fractures and as many surgeries. Spine did OK considering and the person may be able to walk in 6 months. Car was driven by an experienced autocrosser, gas pedal got wedged the on the carpet and not enough time for the driver to react. The gas pedal had cut a slit in the carpet over the years and it caught at the worst possible moment.

PSA, when you lose control it's both feet to the floor, brake and clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.