Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so I decided in order to lift my sagging rear end I needed new leaf springs. Called Eaton springs in detroit (my backyard) and they quoted me $200 pr. for standard springs. They would even add an extra 1" lift if I wanted. THEN I found that Laurel Mountain sells a "high-rate" spring that gives 1/2" extra lift, or a 4-leaf that gives 1 1/2" more lift for $125 pr. (made by Standon?) hmmm that sounds like a better deal . . . THEN I called NPD and they have GT-competition handling springs for $90 a pair AND theyre made by Eaton ( I figure NPD must get a special discount or sumthin') - WOW - if I keep calling around maybe I can get em' for free! Anybody have any other suggestions on places to look?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm also looking for leaf springs, Are you sure on NPD's prices, I was quoted 179.90 for the pair. I like yours much better. Even their catalog lists them at 179.90.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm - maybe its a difference in the year - I dont have a catalog - is the price different for a 68' convertible GT in the catalog?
I just talked to a guy in the Michigan office - call again see if you can get em' cheeper!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I would make sure the extra lift is what your want. The springs on my '66 conv. were installed by the PO and it rides higher than any Mustang I've had. It really needs to be lowered at leaset 1/2". I can't be sure of which springs were installed, but I know on my last '66 I replaced the springs with original spec springs and the height was just right.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My goal is to get the rear end slightly higher than the front. The mustang front end is really high and I dont like it sloping back. I cant lower the front end because I live off a rough road and need the ground clearance. Do you know which front springs you had on both 66's? Do you have pictures I can look at? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can't tell you which springs are on my current '66, just that it is too high. I bought the springs for my old '66 about 7 years ago from Dallas Mustang, they were stock replacement springs in the back and 1" lower 620's in the front, and the height was perfect. In your case I would maybe measure your current height, decide what you want then talk to the people at the Mustang supplier and see what they recommend to get you at the height you want.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips! It sounds like, since you have lower springs in front than I do, I may want 1" lift in back. I'll do what you suggested before I order springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts