Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car back last week and saw something the shop said could be buffed out.

Now people are getting me worried that it can't be buffed. Specifically, on the door and side, there was some sagging (that's what my friend called it) where you can see what looks like a long wave...as if the paint went on slightly heavy. The paint shop told me it can be buffed out, but others have told me that "sags" can't.

Thoughts?

TIA

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Wet sand with a block. 1500, then 200, then polish with Meguires med compound, then fine compound, the 3M Finesseit II. That's what I've used to take out a minor sag here and there, no biggy.

The shop should fix the problem if they shot it!

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Oh yeah...that's assuming this is a Base coat/ clear coat job. I've never wet sanded on single stage paint. ::

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a two-stage Diamond Glaisurt paint.

Thanks for the info. They hadn't even removed any of the tape when I picked it up since I'm putting all the pieces back on myself.

They've said all along they'll buff it out (maybe they meant the whole wet sand thing too - just dumbed it down for me) AFTER I've put all the parts back on....since at the same time they'll touch up all the scratches& nicks I create in the process of putting everything back together.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Yep...that's what they meant. They probably just didn't want to scare you with the term "wet sanding" on your pretty new paintjob. ::

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe that if the clear is sagging it can be sanded out. If the color saged I woul be careful about sanding into the color. Maybe a body expert can repaint clear after you have sanded the color. I would take it back and have it fixed by the person who painted it and let them take on the risk.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with everyone else! You paid for a quality paint job, and although nobody is perfect (every artist leaves his mark,) you should have to look harder for their mark. It should not be an obvious run in the paint. A skilled painter will not get too close to the car, allowing the paint to run. I, by no-means, consider myself skilled, but have learned and done so quickly. My dad helped me with the first parts, and I did the other car on my own. I wish I had help with that one!

Take it back to them, once the parts are installed, and be decent with them. Tell them that you paid for a quality paint job, and insist that it be taken care of!

Good luck.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If the sag is in a place that needs parts removed again if worst comes to worst and the panel needs a full respray, I 'd take that into account. No sense in putting things on only to have to take them off again for repainting...

If I were you I'd at least ask them if they are SURE they do not need to repaint the panel completely. If there are no parts in the way this is of no concern....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts