Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reupholstered my highback bucket seats on my Mach 1 about 7 years ago(about the time I started into mustangs and on this project). I am now not satisfied with the original seat bottom. It is saggy and has very little support. (Yeah, I now know I should have gone with new seat bottoms and springs, but I didn't back then.)

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to add support, stiffen up the sproiings, etc. to my seat without having to take off the upholstery and redo it. Anyone ever tried to get more support while the seat has the material on it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a sagging area in the leather seats in the cadillac I used to drive. The local upholstery guy fixed it by adjusting a panel and resewing it.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm afraid you are SOL. You have to take the upholstery off to get to the springs. Once there, you can replace the springs, and/or add additional padding to give more support.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If you don't want to take the seat apart, get a chunk of high density foam, remove the seat and then reinstall the seat with the foam under it, adding support. This is not at all an elegant fix, but it is quick, cheap and will last for a while until you figure out what you want to do....

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Cheap trick: For my 65 seats was that I installed a cardboard between the foam and springs. No more shredded foam on the floor and slightly firmer seat, because foam doesn't bulge between foam.

I don't know if this works for 69, could they have used that canvas cloth to contain foam still.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I am going to try the foam and the cardboard trick. I guess if it still bothers me I will take the seat bottom apart and replace the springs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts