Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 68 coupe that I have had for a year now. This is my first car and I have been having trouble with fixing it. I do not have the skills to do engine work etc. and I'm willing to learn how. If anyone would like to maybe teach or help out that would be great! I'm really getting sick and tired of getting taken advantage of with this car! ::

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Welcome to ford land. I think you can easily learn to work on your car yourself, as mustangs are much more user friendly when it comes to wrenching on it at home. I can offer assistance and guidance, but I live about 70 miles from S.A. so it would be difficult to get here when your car isn't running properly. I would also suggest you try some of the local mustang clubs in S.A... as you will have many more local mustangers to help you out. Also use this forum and search the database to ID your problems and get some answers. There are many knowledgeable people here that can help you out. Good luck, Todd P.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is running fine, I just want to learn how to do things on it. Right now it needs frontend work . But thanks I have mosted many times already, and they say do it yourself for less money. That is hard to do if you don't know that musch about working on cars. But like I said thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I yesterday I went to Alamo classic mustang and Mark who is a really nice guy, along with everyone else that works there showed me all the things that needed to be replaced. I can't remember everything they said(but I know what it looks like). They said the power steering is something that NEEDED to be replaced because at any time I can lose control of the car, also there is the driver side splinder(I think thats what it's called ) is bent and is hitting the new drums that they installed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
yank out that power steering and go manual, i did and havent looked back. im in san antonio as well,when i changed from p/s to manual i just changed all the front end while i was at it,besides you can sell your setup you pullout,just a suggestion .. pretty simple..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, It is bent a little and is hitting the new drum. they said they would fix it for 50, plus 60 for labor.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The spindle is bent and hitting the drum...hmmm..I've never heard of such a thing. If it's hitting the drum, then why would they have gone and installed brake parts on top of it? Sounds fishy.... is there anyone else you can take it to for an opinion?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes today I'm taking it to D&S Garage for a better price for repairing. But I saw it with my own eyes and when I make left turns it rubs it. I also thought it was a little strang that they did not see it, but I think that they knew I would come back so they can charge me 900.00 for replacing that and some other things. :: Don't get me wrong Mark and the guys are good company , but they just take advantage sometimes, and I'm a little sick on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They said that the power steering had a leak( But not as serious as what the other guys said) The spindle is really bent- so that is the first thing to fix. He said the bushings and some other some things needed to be replaced.
He said that they would charge me almost 400.00 for everything

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wow...that's awful. For 400..you should put new disc brakes on it...check out my website and page on disc brakes. I've also got a complete set of 66 drum brakes (spindles and all) sitting in my garage on the floor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts