Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have my Marti Report and the dealer is "72G423"

Yep, DSO 72.

Does anyone know the name of the dealership perchance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I may be wrong if I am someone else could have the correct answer.

DSO 72 is San Jose like mine just a 72 would be standard production number. Any digits after the 72 is a special order number the G423 is the special order number not the dealer.

Yours was probably built for someone who wanted certain options back when you could actually order cars optioned the way you wanted it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hmm...my Marti report had the dealer name Geary Motor Sales below the dealer number of 72A008. If anyone had that info, I'd think it would be Marti?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hmm...my Marti report had the dealer name below the dealer number. If anyone had that info, I'd think it would be Marti?
Same as my report plus I have the original buyers paper work.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
You get the original selling dealer name when you order the "Deluxe" Marti, but not with the basic "Standard" report. Also, 72G423 is a legitimate dealer code.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
From the 1969 Shop Manual.

District Code (DSO)
Units built on a Domestic Special Order , Foreign Special Order or other special orders will have the complete order number in this space. Also to appear in this space is the two-digit code number of the District which ordered the unit. If the unit is a regular production unit only the District Code number will appear.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,264 Posts
From the 1969 Shop Manual.

District Code (DSO)
Units built on a Domestic Special Order , Foreign Special Order or other special orders will have the complete order number in this space. Also to appear in this space is the two-digit code number of the District which ordered the unit. If the unit is a regular production unit only the District Code number will appear.
Hi Bob. I'm not sure you are interpreting that correctly. DSO in this case stands for District Sales Office, not Domestic Special Order. If it were a special order it would be noted separately on the Marti from the selling dealer code. It would appear as an all numbers code like 892001 for example. This would be included on a basic Marti while the selling dealer code, like 25F218 (for instance) would be further down, but without the name of the dealership included. To get that dealer name you order the Deluxe Marti.

In this instance, the OP wants to know who the dealer was, the name. He may get lucky that someone here has a deluxe report for the same dealer code (72G423) and will reply, or could shell out a few more bucks and just order the upgraded report that will include it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks for the explanation hope I didn't confuse the OP even after looking at the Marti site it sounds like it all comes down to who wrote up the paperwork even with a deluxe report they may not be able to provide a dealer name. I guess even an old f-rt can learn something or at least try daily.

Bob

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I'm looking at two deluxe Marti Reports and the dealer name and address are provided at that level. The base Marti report does not. Upgrading to the deluxe report (and paying the upcharge amount between base and deluxe) will provide that information. Otherwise, someone with a deluxe or higher lever Marti report for a car sold by that same dealership is your best bet.

Recognize that the San Jose DSO covers a large area, over the years dealerships have come and gone. The current fleet listing for Ford dealerships within 300 miles of San Jose shows 96 dealers. Here's the link.

Locate a Dealer | fleet.ford.com

Note that your selling dealer as well as a number of other former Ford dealers that I recall are no longer around. For general information the two local cars I have Marti reports on are:

Tuban Ford, Mt View # 72E032

Hughson Ford Sales, San Francisco # 72A005

I can recall other dealerships that are no longer doing business under their former names and include:

San Jose Ford Sales, San Jose

Jones-Minto Ford, Burlingame

S&C Ford, San Francisco

Ed Chavones Ford, San Leandro

Golden Bear Ford, Berkeley

Paul Swanson Ford, Los Gatos

Ralph Williams Ford, Daly City

Burton Ford, Sacramento

In addition, the Philco Garage on Fabian in Palo Alto (Philco Ford, later Ford Aerospace) was also the delivery destination of a large number of local cars for Philco engineers above a certain pay grade every year. If memory serves, those cars were DSO 84 or 89.

Per Marti's book." Mustangs by the Numbers (1967-73)" indicates the following Mustang production numbers for DSO 72 per model year:

1967 - 25241

1968 - 16375

1960 - 14409

1970 - 8828

1971 - 5176

1972 - 4179

1973 - 4131

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm not trying to be argumentative at all just trying to understand a Marti Report I bought the standard since I have all the original paperwork for my car. There are several reasons the selling dealer may or maynot be included in a deluxe report.

Per Martis site
See our Comparison Chart.
DEALER NAME (if available)

The original ordering dealer is always found in columns 70-75. Note that the ordering dealer is not necessarily the selling dealer (see Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price for more information). Also, terms and descriptions are used on the reports that may not match word for word other terms on other documents. See Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price for more explanation on this.

Bob

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Bob:

It has been my experience that the DSO (72 in this case) stands alone on the data tag unless the car is a special order unit for some reason or another in which case the 4 digit special order number is made part of the DSO on the data tag. It is also my experience that the 72 DSO serves as a prefix for the dealer code numbers for the dealers within that DSO. The Marti report on my Mustang and my Ranchero were both 71 DSO orders (Los Angeles). The Mustang was a San Jose built car and the Ranchero was a Kansas City built car while both cars were sold new in SoCal, While I have never seen a deluxe Marti report that didn't list the original dealer information, it is possible. Since the OP in this thread has the full dealer # I would expect that Marti has the rest of the dealer info and for a fee will provide it if the OP is interested in a quick and authoritative answer.

From my view, you are not being argumentative and neither am I. The idea here is to build a reliable knowledge base for future hobbyists. From my perspective, we are both trying to achieve that goal.

Regards, Jeff

Reactions: Bob & Sue

·
Registered
837 Posts
My deluxe Marti report for my DSO 72 car has dealer 72A017 as Ames Ford in San Rafael. Sounds like you need to find someone with your dealer number at a close date to yours, since dealerships can change hands and/or names, or you need to get the deluxe report.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I now have my Marti Report and the dealer is "72G423"
Yep, DSO 72.
Does anyone know the name of the dealership perchance?
Thanks!
You didn't ask, and may already know, but just in case DSO 72 also means thermactor equipped originally. The Marti report should validate that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts