Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one or knows what to look for? I am on a quest to buy one whether it is on the auction site or Harbor Freight or whereever. I own a 25 gallon 110 volt air compressor and am looking for a unit that can fit on my bench, but by all means is not the only way I could go. My experience with Harbor Freight has quite a bit of junk. All input would be great.

Also, I have read that the gun is crap. Suggestions on these as well.

Thanks,

·
Registered
670 Posts
For the money Barrel Blaster.They are in the Texas hill country.Don't know the #.But you should be able to find them on the net.Also the media that you blast with is as important,if not more so, than the equipment.You don't have enough compressor now to do anything with a blaster with real effencency.Just think of having your air hose open and your compressor running.That is how much a good small blaster uses.SCOTT

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I got mine from TP, but I'm more concerned about your compressor. Mine is barely sufficient for my (relatively small) cabinet I have. Can your compressor deliver at least 7 CFM at 80 PSI? If not, you're not going to be able to bead blast.

Just FYI: when I was looking for compressors, there were very, very few 110V units capable of even this minimal output. I couldn't afford any of the nice, larger, 220V units.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lowes.6.5 hp 2cyl,80 gal tank.WILL do it all.220 volts.110 never.About $650.00.For a part timmer this will last forever and do all the things you want to.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a bench top cabinet that works very well and I have found it is something I wouldn't want to restore a car without. If I had to get another one the things I would look for is: one that funnels the media to the center of unit from all four sides not just two, one that has an easy way to remove media perferable in the front, the bigger the opening the better- ask yourself what is something you would like to be able to fit in there exhaust manifold? etc. and get one big enough to accept it. I also have found hooking a vacumm into the cabinet while blasting is a big help. I run mine with a 3 horse compressor and do not have any problems yes the compressor runs but it keeps up. Sure not saying a bigger one wouldn't be nice ......someday.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
You could build your own. Mine is mostly TP pieces.
This one started life as a Boeing electrical vault.
Building a front door unit is hard to do (sealing wise), but it's what I had.

Here is the interior
And here is the outside
I have almost 300 into it, but spec-wise it would be 700 to replicate.
If you count the number of hours I have into it (at 10/hr) I broke even!

I like all the TP parts -- good stuff. TP has ugly shipping prices however. www.tptools.com

There is also a local outfit at South Center (South Seattle)
so look in the phone book under sandblasting -- they're at Andover Park West, I believe. I buy all my media, gloves, etc there. They have vacs...don't know about cabinets.

You must have a vacuum. A shop vac will do, but will kill the vac (due to the abrasives).

As a final comment, I've been rebuilding Mustangs for a long time. How I ever did it without a media blaster is beyond me. Phenomenal tool.

You need a bigger compressor. You can do it with a smaller one but you'll kill it.

BTW, never use sand in these. Sand breaks down and can cause a lung disease called silcosis. Doesn't work worth crap either, so why bother?

PM me if you want to know more.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I've had a lot of success with sand blasting. It does not leave as fine of a finish on aluminum as bead blasting does but it is great for steel and cast iron. I use a pressure type unit, buy filtered #5 sand (consistency of table salt), and blast outdoors. I lose all my sand but it's cheap. The biggest problem I have is moisture in the air. I'm using a 5hp 22-gallon rig and it does struggle to keep up. I have to put a box fan next to it to keep it from overheating. There are times I wish I had a beadblaster but for most things sandblasting works fine (especially if you use a fine grade of sand as I do).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts