Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use for sand blasting? I got a small sand blaster and played with it. I use play sand it worked ok but not great. I think there must be some thing better to use. it does get rid of the rust though.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
We just discussed this topic

black beauty (coal slag) is probably the best price to performance blasting product.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I posted the same question about 2 days ago. I have 400 grit aluminum oxide in mine. It works excellent. It is fine enough to get into all the cracks and crevices. It will leave a very fine surface finish and it will get everything off the surface.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use the stuff from menards it might be coal i dont know. It is called black magnum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love your post.Got my dream car.How am I going to fix this.(With the pic of 67).I just roll in the floor when I see it.I promise you that YOU are not alone!You have to take your time.Take lots of pics & Tag & Bag every nut & bolt.I started with gutting the interior.Now I'm working on getting all of it lined out.Pulled seat covers off & blasted seat tracks & frames while covers where on the way.Paint seat backs while friend cover seats.2 front seats done.Ordered Carpet & headliner-Done.Cleaned door panels & put on new trim-done.Back seat clean up only.....done.When I send it out for body & paint - I'm going to rebuild the engine & send tranny out for rebuild.When the car comes back The Int.will be ready & so will the drive train.Break it down into small projects & finish ea.1.You'll just have a zillion projects!!!!O yeah, my blaster has medium glass beads.Works great.......
Good Luck
JRW

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'm getting near the end of sandblasting and I use play sand exclusively. The large body panels were hand sanded (electric DA) or media blasted. The sandblaster works great, but it is a low pressure system (I plug it into the 115VAC outlet) so the metal doesn't heat/warp and blasting takes a long time.

Nearly everyone who started balsting at the same time as I are weel into priming or painting by now! However, the finished product is just fine.

Use a good quality epoxy primer as the first coat of primer. I use PPG's DP90.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I use #5 grade sandblasting sand. It's about the consistency of table salt. It leaves a nice smooth finish (almost like bead blasting) and doesn't tend to clog like play sand does. I get it at a sandblasting supply shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts