Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with sandblasting hood hinges? I am curious as to whether anyone has had an issue with the sand getting into the rivets and causing wear? In addition, has anyone had issues painting hinges with Cast Blast? Will it cause any issues with function?

Thank you...

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
nope- not a problem. I've blasted several and the sand comes right out- assuming you've pulled the springs off 1st, just open and close them a few times. Paint won't make a difference on performance either.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
If time is not an issue, overnight in Evaporust might do the trick.

Reactions: dm289

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bead blasted mine and painted them with Cast Blast. No problems.

Reactions: dm289

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you blast the springs? Don't you have to pull them to open them up so you can blast between the coils? Then clear coat the hinges and springs with the springs opened up?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
To get good paint coverage on springs, spread spring open. Can be done two ways. One hold spring in a vise and bend open little at a time and insert large washers.
Or way I like, with hood open coils spread apart a bit, insert washers then close a little, this way spring can be unhooked from hinge, leave washers in and paint.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you blast the springs? Don't you have to pull them to open them up so you can blast between the coils? Then clear coat the hinges and springs with the springs opened up?
I blasted them as an assembly and painted with cast blast. The springs are closed when the hood is open, so getting paint in between does not matter as much...

·
Registered
821 Posts
More than two ways to skin this cat. Here is one way that gets full access where the coils touch.

Also original finish was a phosphate coating, which is more durable, and does not chip like paint. Paint works for brackets, but on moving parts like this I think that phosphate deserves consideration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks, I like that jig, simple and should work great! So Cast Blast for the brackets and phosphate for the springs, makes sense!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you. Phosphate plating for the brackets AND springs. Is phosphate plating the proper thing to do on all of the unpainted natural finish parts, attaching bolts (such as shock tower brace bolts, as an example) Got to love this forum, so much information a person can get from all of the members!

·
Registered
821 Posts
That depends on your goal. If you are going for MCA shows, different classes have specific requirements. Some original parts were bare steel which can degrade quickly on a driven car. It’s all about choices. For something originally bare steel, phosphate is a pretty popular alternative due to a blend of looking fairly close to bare metal but providing a barrier to the elements.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If originality interests you I recommend reviewing and posting questions like this in the concours area. Also check out concoursmustang.com which has a specific focus and a lot of documented information

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you so much for the information! Really don't see ourselves going to shows with the car, but I guess you never know. I just figured since we're restoring the car, might as well try to make the correct black items black and the natural items natural (coated with something so they don't rust) 🙂 All this information is interesting to me!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Has anyone tried Eastwood Zinc Phosphate paint on hood hinges & springs? Seems like an easy product to use, don't have to use primer. Just a cleaner that Eastwood sells.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
If you have something that needs to stay bare steel, treat it with t9 boeshield. Its available on Amazon. Amazing stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts