Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Has anyone tried Eastwood Zinc Phosphate paint on hood hinges & springs? Seems like an easy product to use, don't have to use primer. Just a cleaner that Eastwood sells.
I’ve used it to get to achieve a particular appearance, but it is just paint. For something like a hinge or spring, you will get the same wear pattern and chipping on moving parts that come in contact with one another.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
If you have something that needs to stay bare steel, treat it with t9 boeshield. Its available on Amazon. Amazing stuff.
Exactly....If you want something that looks original, I would phosphate and oil it, then treat with T9. A similar/easier approach be to blast them than parkerize them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks mysuntop68! Do you have an Eastwood part number for the paint? Can it be used on hinges and springs successfully or only on non-moving parts? Does it look like the correct color and finish?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Paint based products can be used on moving parts, but they are much more susceptible to wearing or flaking off where the close fitting metal parts slide over each other. Plated out finishes are much less susceptible to this but over a very long time relatively speaking can be worn down. As far as your specification, namely the word "successfully", there are a lot of variables that as an engineer I need to point out. They are (1) quality of paint, (2) quality of application (including cleanliness of the parts being painted), (3) material of part being painted, (4) part function (including moving parts), (5) time (how long do you want it to look good), perhaps more. Ford chose phosphate for reasons that we don't unfortunately know. Some people think that cost was the only factor, but that is simply not the case. If you are looking for the cheap and easy solution, go with paint. Make sure that you apply lubricant after the paint is properly cured. If/when there is a problem, you can add something like a dark gray anti-seize lubricant to those areas and hide the issue, but that will tend to be a magnet for grime.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts