Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am blasting my car trailer and noticed that after blasting there seems to be a White film left. Is this film going to cause a problem if I just spray my primer and paint over it or does it need to be removed?
Thanks
Ronnie

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would think that any film on the bare metal is going to cause you problems. Paint jobs are only as good as the foundation and if you go through the trouble of blasting to strip everything down, why not do a wash with lacquer thinner and a metal prep before priming. You don't want to have to worry about paint lifting months or years later after going through all that trouble just to have to do it all over again because of shortcuts early on.

Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not try to clean it off with thinner, but I will try that. If that works it will be alot easier than a wire wheel.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The white film may be galvinization. If it is very hard to get off, but it sands off or comes off with a wirewheel with some effort, it probably is. IF that's what it is, it is a good rust preventative and should be left alone. Just prime with a good primer after washing it down good with thinner.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I assume that you are wearing a mask. Breathing sand is bad enough, but you definitely don't want to breathe particles of galvanized metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts