Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to do something to get my A/C working. I've had a cursory examination performed, and initial finding is that there is quite a bit of grease/dirt/gunk all over the compressor, and the tech suspects that the front seal may have gone out. He didn't recommend an R&R on the existing unit. We could vacuum test, etc, to get a better feel, but just in case a new compressor is in order, what do you recommend putting back in? The car is a '71. Should I put a replacement York in, or should I consider one of the Sanden units? I've read that the Sanden's have better performance. I understand that the Sanden's look different than the York's. Do they look out of place in an otherwise stock '71 engine compartment? I'm looking to keep the system R12. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Go to the Sanden unit. That is a rotary style of compressor and is much more efficient and much quieter. The Pantera's have been going to the sanden style for quite some time and it is a worthwhile changeover........

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm looking to keep the system R12.
I'm sure you know the arguments, but as R12 is getting harder and harder to get serviced properly, a major rebuild of the AC and a new compressor is probably a good time to make the switch... R12 is only going to get more expensive and more difficult to maintain.

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you are after an original look then the york is your choice. The sanden looks nothing like the original and in my opinion looks out of place in a vintage car. It does function better and quieter than the york though. One thing about the yorks, is the front seals tend to blow out in them. I've had to replace my compressor every 2-3 years because of it. I have all vintage components in my system and yes sometimes I do wish that I had the sanden compressor but I wanted to keep the look of my engine compartment as original as I could. So in a nutshell if you don't care about originality, the sanden is the way to go. ::

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I put the Sanden compressor retrofit kit from Classic Auto Air on my 73 vert. Fits great. I don't think it looks out of place. I have plenty of R12 so that wasn't a problem for me. The only issue I had was that I had to fabricate a bracket for the PS cooler (it was mounted on top of the factory compressor). I can send you pictures if you want.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please do send me some pics of the Sanden in your '73. Everything under the hood is stock on my '71, and I'm concerned about the appearance of the newer unit. I like what I'm hearing about the Sanden otherwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts