Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to tell if my car has the Sanden Compressor vs the York.
I have an underdash aftermarket A/C system in the car (1968) now.
Is there a way to visually tell if it is the more modern Sanden Compressor?
I want to go with the indash system but if I already have a Sanden Compressor I could save some money by going with the systems the various companies (CAA, Vintage) air sells without the engine compartment stuff.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
The Sanden is a modern cylindrical shaped unit. The York, similar to the Tecumseh, looks more like a small engine. Using a Sanden with factory in-dash is an excellent setup.

York:

Tecumseh:

Sanden:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 22GT I definitely have a Sanden Compressor.
Visually it seems it would be hard to confuse.

I only have to figure out which company to go with.

Rod

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have a Vintage Air system in a '66, and if I were doing it over again, I would get the CAA.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a reason why you would choose the CAA over the vintage air?
These are the two I have been looking at mostly.

RME

I have a Vintage Air system in a '66, and if I were doing it over again, I would get the CAA.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The Vintage Air unit I have only offers 2 fan speeds: anemic and slightly less anemic. It makes the car tolerably cool on a hot Northwest day (say 90F), but would be unacceptable someplace really hot. I put in the "hidden AC" type system with the registers installed under the dash, and they look okay but they are really flimsy plastic and I broke one snapping the hose on. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I have heard from others with the CAA unit that liked it, so there you are.

Hope this helps,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that is a pretty good endorsement.
Listening to other people on VMF it seems the CAA gets pretty good endorsement.
Directions for both seem about the same.
Not sure if there are any installation differences between the two.

Thanks Again,

RME

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have done three CAA systems and 134 conversions etc. The people at CAA have always known what they were talking about and been extremely helpful. That is worth a lot.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a man of experience! I have looked at the online directions. Seems to be a lot of work for the inside of the car. Not neccessarily difficult but seems time consuming.

RME

I have done three CAA systems and 134 conversions etc. The people at CAA have always know what they were talking about and been extremely helpful. That is worth a lot.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
This thread.....I have MUCH interest in it since I'm about to drop a lot of change for a system within the next month or two.
Had my heart set on Vintage Air. I don't know why! Bur I did. Thanks for the heads up. I'll pay a visit to Classic Air's website.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You and me both.
I had narrowed it down to Vintage Air and CAA and was leaning also to Vintage Air but I will have to once again reevaluate both products.

Let me know what you think 22GT after you look at the CAA website.

Thanks,

RME

1 - 11 of 11 Posts