Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I believe I have everything wired and grounded correctly. A new 60 amp ALT and Voltage Regulator. The charge is at 13.4 at idle and jumps to 14.46 at RPM. For those that have a D/C gauge in their cars. Does it move. Mine does and it moves from the center towards the C at least to the first line and maybe a little past it. Is this right?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Your best bet would be to use a DVM and measure the battery voltage at idle and RPM and compare it to the gauge just to confirm the system operation.
If the aternator is putting out 13.4 at idle and 14.5 at RPM the alternator is o.k. As long as the gauge consistently displays the same indication relative to the actual voltage you're good. If the gauge is reading differently then a bad connection or a bad gauge would be suspect.

From what you say the system and gauge are working properly.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Pssst... happy birthday 68Hardtop!

oh and yeah your gauge is working fine.. It should though settle down to just a smidgen to the right of the center line after a little while as the Alternator drops its output as the battery recovers from starting the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts