Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to put all new suspension and add power steering to my '68 this year, and am wondering how everything will fit together. Car is a manual. Here is what I currently have:
  • Blueprint Engines 302 crate motor, so this is a Fox Body era block and I had to get the Scott Drake Clutch Linkage Bracket (Scott Drake Clutch Linkage Brackets C5ZZ-7A531-LM)
  • Classic Auto Air A/C system, 2 groove crank pulley, aluminum radiator and mechanical fan
Here's what I intend to add:
And here are my questions / concerns:
  • The suspension kit is pretty straightforward but I am wondering what the height of the floorboard off the ground will be with a 1" drop vs. stock height? My current suspension is so worn out the car looks like a boat riding above the water in the front so I have no frame of reference.
  • The steering kit says it will not fit the factory Z-Bar clutch linkage and a modified Z-Bar is needed. How does the Clutch Linkage Bracket I have affect this?
  • I'm not sure a 3 groove crank pulley will fit with clearance between it and the fan or the fan and the radiator. Would I be able to run the power steering pump off the second empty groove on the A/C compressor?
  • I currently have a 15 inch steering wheel and I do not want to go smaller, so I am concerned about an over-boosted feeling with the power steering. Has anybody used the pressure reducing washer kit (Borgeson Universal Power Steering Pump Pressure-Reducing Kits 899001) and have any feedback on that?
  • My A/C compressor looks like it might be too high for the Monte Carlo bar to clear... How far off the top of the fender apron is the bottom of the actual bar?
  • Is there anything else that I'm missing that I will need?
Before I place my order I intend to call Opentracker and ask them these questions as well, but any feedback from the experienced folks here is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think John at Opentracker can pretty much answer all your questions. Super helpful guy!.

You'll get some flack around here on the Borgenson VS original style power steering. I'm running the original setup right now and it's fine but less vocal members around here love the Borgenson setup as well.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
And here are my questions / concerns:
  • The suspension kit is pretty straightforward but I am wondering what the height of the floorboard off the ground will be with a 1" drop vs. stock height? My current suspension is so worn out the car looks like a boat riding above the water in the front so I have no frame of reference.
We have no frame of reference, either, until you post a photo.
  • The steering kit says it will not fit the factory Z-Bar clutch linkage and a modified Z-Bar is needed. How does the Clutch Linkage Bracket I have affect this?
Not at all. You still need a modified equalizer. Borgeson sells a 65-66 equalizer, but for 67-70 you are on your own. The top end of the upper arm must hook over the pressure lines on top of the gearbox.

• I'm not sure a 3 groove crank pulley will fit with clearance between it and the fan or the fan and the radiator. Would I be able to run the power steering pump off the second empty groove on the A/C compressor?
The three-sheave crank pulley was stock on AC-equipped cars.
An inch or two on the steering wheel diameter will make no difference.
  • My A/C compressor looks like it might be too high for the Monte Carlo bar to clear... How far off the top of the fender apron is the bottom of the actual bar?
Hard to say without photos, but my straight Monte Carlo bar clears the Techumseh pump I have now, and the York pump I used to have.
  • Is there anything else that I'm missing that I will need?
Just the photos I mentioned.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Jomo, here comes some of the flak. I am going to suggest that you rethink, and then think a 3rd time, on the Borgeson sterring. The B box is not as nice as the factory setup. Call ChockoStang and ask him if he has what you need. Or, if you find a used factory setup, have Chocko rebuiltd it for you. On the Z bar, most guys have to at least tweak it abit for headers and such. You'll want some gussets on where the arms meet the tube, and rod ends instead of the factory bushings. LSG

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@22GT here are some pics.

This can give you an idea how my car sits now. The back tires rub on any significant bump and I can't have passengers back there. I guess my question is really how high is "stock height"? I like that I can slide under the front for an oil change without lifting the car and if it's an inch lower than it is now I might still be able to but any more than that I won't.

This is as level of a picture as I could take with my phone resting on top of the fender apron. I also tested with a piece of wood and it will clear so long as the Monte Carlo bar doesn't sit below the level of the top of the apron. Does it?

Here is why I'm concerned about clearance for a 3 groove crank pulley. I had this problem before when I initially tried to install a fan shroud and first I needed a new spacer so the fan wouldn't hit the shroud and then went to a 2 groove pulley because the fan was a hair's width away from the pulley. I never finished that because the car was in a minor accident and during the repairs I had the motor swapped and a/c installed along with the new fan and radiator.

@LSG Can you define "not as nice"? I'm just looking to make the car less of a chore to drive especially in parking lots and on twisty roads. Searching here seems to indicate that people who have it like it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My car is a 65 so I can't comment on fitment issues but I will say I really like my Borgeson setup. It drives really nicely and the few people who have driven the car all remarked on how nice it steers. It was a little lite or over boosted for my taste initially so I installed a flow reducer from Jegs which greatly improved the steering feel. A little more castor should make it perfect but I need to get some new strut arms first.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You tire rub is most likely due to improper backspacing or offset if you will on you wheels. Do you know what the backspace is, and what size tires are you running?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a little lite or over boosted for my taste initially so I installed a flow reducer from Jegs which greatly improved the steering feel.
Thanks for that, it looks a lot simpler than the washer kit!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You tire rub is most likely due to improper backspacing or offset if you will on you wheels. Do you know what the backspace is, and what size tires are you running?
Rear tires are 225 60 15R, don't know the backspace but they are torq thrust wheels. They didn't rub when I got the car even with passengers in the back and it also sat a lot more flat when I got it. I've put several thousand miles on it and I'm pretty sure the rear suspension is just worn out. The rubber bushings look awful, dried, cracked.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rear tires are 225 60 15R, don't know the backspace but they are torq thrust wheels. They didn't rub when I got the car even with passengers in the back and it also sat a lot more flat when I got it. I've put several thousand miles on it and I'm pretty sure the rear suspension is just worn out. The rubber bushings look awful, dried, cracked.
I'm sure you need new springs but my point is you car should bottom out on the snubbers and not the tires. If you're going to run those tires and wheels I would stick with stock height springs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had the borgeson box and saginaw pump for about 10 years now with no complaints. I do not find it overboosted, like the original p/s system. I could prob use some more positive castor at some point... my .02.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would not. My car has PS and A/C and the PO did that and it kept throwing the belt. I got a factory style 3 grove and set the belts up as originally done by Ford. I've not had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Jomo, the Borgeson setup uses a small box designed for a Toyota IIRC, with a plate welded to it. It is not as strong, nor as well made, as the factory boxes. If you want power steering, get the factory setup. Chock, does, I am sure other folks do also. But I would not consider the Boregeson box to be an upgrade, I am not sure why folks are so fascinated by them. LSG

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Having owned 3 other early mustangs prior to my current car, I came to the conclusion Id rather have an integrated power assist steering box, even one designed for a Toyota before settling on Fords antiquated power ram assist design, but that's just me. I chose the Borgeson box over a decade ago and its been flawless. It wasnt however about fascination, I was torn between the Borgeson kit and a TCP power rack and the budget won.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've driven a TCP rack, My Borgeson and a very well setup stock PS system back to back.

I'll keep my Borgeson box. 10k on the car in the last year already and its still fantastic. I'll never go back to the ram assisted factory style. Ever.

I would consider EPAS on a reworked 16:1 factory box though.. just to be rid of the lines and fluid...

CHOCK is indeed a great help to our community for those stock boxes.

BTW- there is nothing 'welded to them' on the Borgs. IIRC its a Suzuki box not a 'yota :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts