Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 FB has only the standard 2-pt lap belts. I'm going to install 3-pt belts next month. In reading material here and elsewhere online there is a difference of opinion whether to use the standard pivot for the shoulder belt or use a sash to drop the belt. If anyone has installed one please let me know your experience. 3-pt-retractable-seat-belt-bucket-seat-shoulder-anchor-above-window-long-sash-33.jpg
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is how I installed 3 points (RetroBelt) in both my son's '67FB and my '65FB.
The box is hidden behind the panel and the belt comes out of the top shoulder of the rear trim panel.
Looks cleaner and no wind flap.
Some will say it's too low.
I'm no safety expert and don't recommend doing any thing the way I do, but:
  • But why are race cars all mounted low.
  • I'd rather not have it come across my neck while driving or in an accident.
  • To high seem like it would allow your body to slip out to the side.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
@1965GTFB The reason many don't want it mounted low is because of spinal compression in a crash, but convertibles have them mounted low, as well. Your install looks clean, will keep the occupants inside the car and off the dash, so that's more than a lap belt will do and is an improvement. And it looks nice!
I think either of the above top mounts will work if desired and can be installed around where the coat hook area is as long as the sheet metal is reinforced well and proper hardware is used.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here's a pic of the same setup in my '65.
At 5'8" the spinal compression risk is probably far less for me. My daughter at 5'1" who's '66 coupe we set up in a similar it's way less risk.

IMG_0349.JPG

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think either of the above top mounts will work if desired and can be installed around where the coat hook area is as long as the sheet metal is reinforced well and proper hardware is used.
Thanks. I had hoped that my early 68 (born 12/2/67) would have the mounting nut for the stock shoulder belt hidden behind the headliner, but no such luck.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I was concerned about possible wind flap as I love driving with the window down. On the Nor Cal to Minnesota trip in June my wife and I had the windows down most of the time, only used the AC for maybe 3 hours total.
I bought a 1 owner, all original, first day production(San Jose) '68 coupe once that only had lap belts and no evidence of the shoulder belts.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
I am adding a welded-in reinforced panel with nut for the upper bolts for shoulder belts for both my sons' 66 cars.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This is how I setup may son's 68 coupe and daughters 66 coupe. The window crank does clear the belt. Only needed to drill a hole in the trim panel, there is already a hole in the 1st layer of the structure behind it in just the right spot. Slipped the threaded plate between the 2 layers of the inner structure so it would no be the ugly drill through way that is seen when you open the door. The 68 coupe also has 3 point in the rear.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts