Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last wee we discussed the ugliest autos out there. The biggest friut to fall from the ugly tree were the Pontiak Aztek (today) and the Pacer (yesterday). I completely agree.

This week lets get bac to out beautiful Mustangs.

What was the worst thing a PO (Previous Owner , for you newbies) did to your Mustang that you had to fix?

Mine. the worst thing a PO did to my Mustang was to put a really crappy paint job on the car. otherwise it was all original. But Hey, I bought the car in 1980 sio is was still pretty original. However When I was young and stupid I did cut holes in the interior rear seat panels to put speakers. I since have regretted that move.

What's yours.

Don

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
It was a different car but it has to do with rust repair. The PO used steel wool and covered it with bondo. Sanded it very nicely thank you and resprayed it. It looked OK.

Fast forwards a few months and the rust continues. I hit a big pot hole and a whole chunk of the car fell off!

Ah the good old days!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Kept the car outside under a cover (plastic I assume) for years, thereby guaranteeing surface roof rust and paint deterioration over every horizontal area and by default, a paint job, $$$.

Close second is cutting the trap door for speakers, again, will take me $$ to correct only because many PO's did the same.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Yep, the 1st Husband of the Original Owner of my BOSS did the speakers in the door thing. He did it one day as a "surprise" for her. She said she was so pissed, "One of the reasons I kicked him out", she said! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif LOL

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
STUPID "RACING" MIRRORS!!! They put them on the side of the door and by the time I bought my 65 FB they were all busted up. Of course the new original mirrors didn't fit the old holes, etc. etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my stang has the gratuitous holes in the shock towers for lubrication of the upper a-arms. also came with original paint, covered by earl sheib, covered by spray-can primer that is starting to come off slowly. also was nice enough to rip out half of the a/c system, too!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Geez, Ive been lucky! PO's of every mustang Ive bought (and there have been plenty) took really good care of them....either that, or Ive been in this business so long that I can spot a good one (*G*).

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
from the previous owner of my '70 Vert:
1-Used a mopar radiator and a long flexable hose to connect to the water pump..it was only an inch off the ground.
2-Bolted in two pieces of steel in the back..to connect shoulder harnesses..and I mean two pieces at least 8 inches long and 3/4 inch thick..and never painted them.
3-cut two holes in the original dash for speakers, then decided he would cover it with a cheap dash pad.
4-Had a regular shut off valve like you would for your outdoor spigets fixed into the heater hoses..so he could control the flow..*LOL*..well anyway..I have a list of about 20 more but I have already typed way to much

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
The worst thing the P.O. did to Trouble was set the car on fire for insurance money! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

The P.o_Of Murphy didn't do anything stupid to the car. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hrm, where to start...
well, insted of unscrewing the tack strip that the top is connected to, he just took a rasor kinfe and cut it off, he cut off all of the front inner fenders, threw away a set of headers "because they were junk"... well, i was quite aware of everything that he did when i got the car, so i guess i cant complain.

- Jason

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Only two things come to mind. The PO replaced the heater core without removing the heater box from under the dash, which meant that the clips holding the front of the heater box could not be put back on. The PO threw them in the glove box and left the front half of the heater box propped in place.

The second thing was getting the front springs mounted upside down.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For my latest car, 70 Mach, the PO spun a rod bearing in the 351-C 4v engine drag racing it. He took it apart, had it re-machined, bought new parts and never assembled it. I got the car 18 years later in the same condition. Luckily he kept it in the garage so the car was pretty nice. I just happen to have a 351-W from my 69 GT so I used that. Now I have a 351-C boat anchor sitting in my garage I can't seem to get rid of.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He let it sit for about twelve years in an un-insulated garage which, although not being rained on still had interior condensation problems arise as well as engine issues that have long since been taken care of.
But I guess in those days it was just another car to store. Not too many accessory holes drilled or funky mods so I guess I was fairly lucky... except for the fact that while it was in the unlocked garage some rare and expensive aircleaner parts dissappeared which I had to replace. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
On my latest acquisition, my '65, I discovered a number of things which are par for the course including the ubiquitous shock tower holes. However, the thing that I discovered which really irritated me the most; The P.O. had part of the exhaust system replaced from the muffler back to the tailpipe. The F**KING idiot who did the work saw fit to weld two of the hangers directly to the rear subframe and upper floorpan sheet metal. I was able to successfully grind one of the welds off and camoflage the area. On the other one, I wasn't so lucky.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I'll go along with cutting the shock towers to grease the upper a frames. Then car was in accident and the shock tower tore into the hole that was cut. Then to fix they welded a big patch over it. Worst thing is that it is an R code so when I start to restore this one it means new shock towers. Good thing is that I just bought a set.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wow....so many. I guess the worst one is using pop rivets to put the new driver's side quarter panel on. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif He slapped some bondo on, sanded, and painted, and you could hardly tell, unless you got your head into the trunk and looked up at it. Then, instead of cutting out the front of both the floorpans and replacing, he screwed on pieces of sheet metal onto the tops and bottoms of both the pans. ARG! Of course I saw them when I went to pick it up, but I didn't know what the underside was supposed to look like at that time....guess that's what I get for not doing my homework! Hehehe. Ah well, it's been fun restoring. Soooo much more to go though. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
522 Posts
Let's see:

First, she put a 67-68 stlye mirror on my 66 coupe, and from the looks of it, she tried about 3 times and left a plethora of holes in the door. I'm going to have to go back through and try to fix that one again....

Then, she did the same thing with the atenna, using a 67 style, and trying more than once.

The one I hated the most though, was her putting some strange aftermarket bracket for the idler arm. When I went to do my suspension with my brand new kit, I couldn't do it because the idler arm didn't mount right. That put my car out of commission for another week or so while i waited for the correct one.

She also seemed to like the beach a lot, as I found an abundance of sand in there when I redid the interior.

Dave

·
Registered
546 Posts
The worst would have to be the culligan corporate colors paint job. P.O. was sponsored by them. Didn't even take the license plate off the rear! The second would have to be drilling thru the a.c. dash pad to mount the tach. and tightening so much it cracked it. Still looking for that part! LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts