Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes!
Going to attempt a new install of a Flaming River Box (1" sector) with an Tilt Chromed Ididit Column and a spliced in Saturn Vue EPS.

If anyone has any advice or has done this please post. I will be using a compilation of several threads on here but none specifically for this setup. The most unclear item is the disassembly of the IDIDIT column in order to shorten it. Luckily it uses a DD shaft internally so the upper splice shouldn't be "too" hard. Going to go with the coupler inserted into the top of the Saturn splined upper shaft as the current plan. The lower section looks super easy as the factory Saturn link should actually clamp directly onto the Flaming River box splines.

I will try and detail the unique parts and attachments as I go at it over the winter.

Any other advice/suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok so the Ford replacement IDIDT tilt column needs to be dismantled and modified (Not recommended or approved by the manufacturer). See parts assembly pic attached.

The lower tube (25) and bottom shaft (11) must be cut. The dimensions for the tube above look like they will work, while the shaft will need to be mated to the Saturn splined upper shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is what my car currently looks like! Had it since I was 18, bought it for $500 bucks in 1987, it was in rough shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
My only suggestion would be not to cut anything until you start fitting it up. I had mine in/out probably 10 times.

Your diagram showing your measurements, the 13.5", where did that come from? That is basically the length I cut my column but that was without the flared section attached, just the column.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I’m going to be watching this very closely.
I have a Vue motor and controller already.
I’m going to ditch my straight column for an Ididit tilt.
Mine is going in a 68 FB, and according to everything I’ve read, it might be a little easier than the earlier cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts