Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new crank pully on my 351W, the outer belt loop is bent and you can see it spin out of round when the motor is running. I think I have a dampener/pulley from a 289 though. I had to replace the dampener years ago when I had the motor rebuilt as I used a gear puller to remove it(first car, still learning back then). I went to the junkyard and found one identical to the one I had broken and it had 289 written on it. It is a 3 bolt pulley, and from what I understand the 351's used a 4 bolt dampener/pulley. I have to remove them to extract a broken water pump bolt so I would like to fix this as well. Do I really have a 289 setup on my crank snout? I want to make sure I am looking for the right part.

On that note, if I were to get a 4 bolt setup, would that affect the balancing of my motor? I had the whole thing balanced when it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Not true. The 69 351 had a 3-bolt crank pulley. Be careful, though, the 64-67 crank pulley had a lip on the hole in the center, while the 68-69 had a clean hole with the lip on the damper.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Not true. The 69 351 had a 3-bolt crank pulley. Be careful, though, the 64-67 crank pulley had a lip on the hole in the center, while the 68-69 had a clean hole with the lip on the damper.
I'm Pissed off--How Come you are alway right, and FIRST??

Right On GT

Dan

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense, it is a 1969 351W. So I need the pulley with the clean hole, is that 68-69 351's only or will it be the same for the 68-69 302's as well?

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
duh 69 351w had the 3 bolt balancer and used the same water pump as the 289. the 70 & up 351W used the 4 bolt balancer and a different water pump. sometimes i get off balance !:shaking:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts