Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short time ago I posted a thread in the Wanted section looking for a shifter assembly for my car. In response to my thread, a poster provided me with contact information as to a person he/she knew had a shifter assembly for sale. Using that information, I reached out to the seller and obtained photos of the assembly. After exchanging some further communications we agreed on a sale price which I paid via Venmo.

I was told that the assembly was shipped and that I would receive a tracking number. Well, after a week, no shifter, no tracking number and no return communications to my follow-up emails. To make matters worse, while searching Ebay this weekend for another part, I came across a posting for a shifter assembly. While looking at the photos, I realized they were the same as the ones sent to me. (Easy to tell by the furniture in the background). In checking the Ebay posting, it pre-dated my thread and the reply. So, photos were lifted and sent to me via email as though the seller took them

Yes, Venmo has been alerted, etc. However, in all likelihood I am out a couple of hundred bucks - it could have been worse. So, just a reminder not to let your guard down!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
A short time ago I posted a thread in the Wanted section looking for a shifter assembly for my car. In response to my thread, a poster provided me with contact information as to a person he/she knew had a shifter assembly for sale.
There was a similar incident like this here recently. The first big clue it was a likely scam was the poster who contacted you had likely just joined VMF as a new member and probably had no previous posts whatsoever. Under the previous format at VMF we had at least some barriers in place to deter these dirt bags. So yeah, members must be on the alert more than ever now.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I notice a LOT of the old threads are revived by newly-registered users with some odd or really-not-Mustang-oriented posting dumb stuff that might get a few views and some witty comments from the Mustang savvy, but are a waste of everyone's time. These @$$-hats are everywhere it seems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts