Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used one of these conversions on their car? I know that they are located close to me near Seattle, and everything seems to point to this being a cheap easy way to at least convert my front brakes to disc. It seems like all I would need is a few easy to obtain parts from NAPA and a new dual master cylinder.

The kits runs $75 for the front and includes rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, and caliper bolts. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
$75 even for one side doesn't sound right. Are you sure it isn't just a bracket kit that you supply the rotors and calipers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, duh. That price is just the brackets. The whole setup runs around $325 after all is said and done. It's been a long day.

Anyone use this setup? Results?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The kits runs $75 for the front and includes rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, and caliper bolts. What do you guys think?
you state this and then get on john dell's case for thinking its just the brackets? :paranoid:

there was a post a couple days ago about it here

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Those brackets will make your stock wheels unusable. From what i was told, they also move the wheels out about 1.5 inches combined. I personally could not get a straight answer from their worthless tech department. I also don't like the idea of ordering GM brake parts for my Mustang.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Here's a post from JSHarvey on an earlier thread. Might answer some of these questions...

Specific to your track width question:
Quote: "I asked if they changed the track width using these parts."
The only change in track width is if the thickness of the drum is different than the thickness of the rotor. When I did it the track change was less than 1/128 of an inch.
- Gord

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I think that was a self-depreciating "duh". He said it was a long day.

Frank

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Not quite as you describe. What you get for the $75 is the brackets and instructions.

Go to www.rockauto.com to buy all the parts at a very low cost.

The brackets are well made and my car stops excellent with them.

Unless you can get *free* Grananda (or similar parts) this swap is the lowest cost way to get disc brakes on the front of an old Mustang.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, Also what about the porportional valve? Does it need to be changed out once you change to a dual master cyclinder? I changed the one on my car to a dual off a 1976 Granada , it bolted right up but I still dont have much of a pedal. Of course I still have drum brakes.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Yes you need to change the valve - or disconnect the rear brake line (and plug the hole) and plum it directly to the new Master Cylinder.

You need to use a 1967 Drum/Drum dual master cylinder if you still have all drums on your car.

The Scarebird brakes work great.

John Harvey

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the insight everyone. As Frank said, the "duh" in my second post was directed at myself not John_Del. I misread the email and posted before I realized that price was rediculously low. So no disrespect intended.

I will do some comparisons before I buy but I like to hear that at least some of you have had success. Thanks again

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts