Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The freshly rebuilt 351C is in, and all I had to do was some miscellaneous stuff, and was planning on firing it up tonight.

So last night I got the power steering lines installed, and all of the other residual stuff (replaced some fuel line, vaccuum lines, plug wire looms, etc.). Put the camshaft break-in fluid in so I made sure I wouldn't forget it tonight. While we were at it, I decided to go ahead and fill the radiator.

As we're filling the radiator, we hear a dripping sound. I look under the car and see a steady stream of water hitting the floor. I crawl under there with a flashlight, and it looks like water is streaming out from behind the timing chain cover. I freak, and the only thing that is coming out of my mouth is "No! No! No!" as visions of pulling the motor to search for a missed freeze plug fills my head.

So the guy that's been helping me with this rebuild gets under there and follows the leak, and finds out it's coming from the weep hole in the water pump. Man, what a relief. I definitely was NOT looking forward to mating the block up to the tranny again. So I'm picking up a new water pump tonight, painting it, and tearing down the front end. Should be able to bolt the new water pump on tomorrow night.

This rebuild has cost about twice what I originally had budgeted with SWMBO (who, if I might add, has had the patience of Jobe on this little "project"), so I was trying to save some cash by using the original stock water pump that we pulled off of the original block. I know, I know: it's a cheap part and it would've been a heckuva lot easier to bolt a new one on while the engine was on the stand. Believe me, I feel like a moron.

So I guess the moral of this story is: when it comes to rebuilds, don't cut any corners just to save some cash. Better to spend it up front.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wouldn't say it earns a "Doofus", because I did the same thing when I put my re-built 170 in my 64.5. I hate to think we both earned them(L).
\Good thing it was something simple.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had a simaliar thing happen, only mine was dangerous. On an I6 I used a good (looked new and worked before I rebuilt engine) fuel pump. Well the car fired right up, I ran it for the break in and then noticed a stream of liquid shooting out from under the hood. It was gas and was comming from the diaphram ( where the two halves screw together). I didn't cheap out on much. But I should have got a new fuel pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts