Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing to do a Scarebird Disc Brake conversion on my 65 ford I6. I want to stay as close to original lookwises as possible. What my concern is will by 15" wheels with 4" backspace fit properly after the conversion. No rubbing issues, no caliber clearance issues?

Everything I have read indicate they should since they are 15x7, but would rather learn from someone that has done the conversion, than suffering the school of hard knocks, and find out my new wheels won't fit any more.

Thanks
LMN Rancher

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I was able to fit factory 14" steel wheels on my '68, so I would think you could do 15" no problem. Here is a backside shot, plenty of room:

Front:

All together:

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
According to Scarebird, the 64-66 kit is compatible with the stock 65 14x4" wheels.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I put the kit on my 66 I6 vert and works great. Had a rubbing issue with one original 14 inch steel wheel to the car. Five minutes on the **** on the caliper with my side grinder and no problem. No problems with my 15 inch outlaw II wheels. By the way grinding the **** on the calipers did not hurt or weaken them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have Scarebirds on the way, picking up additional parts and have grinder waiting............Hello Good Braking

·
Registered
31 Posts
............Hello Good Braking
I'm about to say that same thing!!

Speaking of fitment.. I have 14x6 keystone klassics on the car now, and with this scarebird setup, will my wheels fit? Upon measuring (with the 10.25" rotors) calipers.. it looks like its going to be close.... if not, it'll be a good excuse to upgrade :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts