Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get rid of the spinning meat slicer that's attached to the front of my motor and free up some power, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

I have a 2 row aluminum champion radiator (24") which is pretty much a direct bolt in. For the record, I don't have any cooling issues. From what I've read, I want a puller setup and some kind of thermostat switch to activate the fan or fans. Summit has an assortment of electric fans, any recommendations?

Another area of concern is the alternator as I still have the stock 40 amp unit. I've already managed to kill a few of these O'reilly brand alternators so I'm sure I'll be needing something stronger! Any suggestions? Part numbers preferably :)

I don't have a stereo, although I'd like to add one later on so it needs to be something that could keep up with that. Also, is the stock wiring okay to use with all this? I'd imagine the fans wouldn't really be drawing power from the stock wiring as it would be hooked up to some kind of relay, only being activated by a 12v key on source. I'm curious though if the extra juice from the alternator is okay to run through the stock harness though. My harness appears to be in good shape but I'd like to hear from people who have done this before, lol.

A shopping list would be appreciated :p

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'll address the alternator q. Do you want to retain the voltage regulator and stock config? I you are open to a 1 wire 3G that is self exciting and self regulated, this one is a great bet to provide all the amps you'll need

Ford High Amp 1 Wire 3G Small Case Alternator | eBay

As for fans, I would hope someone would chime in on suggestions with a 24" rad (I have a '65, so not familiar)

I would use Summit Racing's site to narrow down some options based on size of you rad. Also be aware of the depth of the fan and your available space.

Puller fan is what you want. SPAL fans get lots of love on the net. Their controller is also reviewed highly.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The best fan you can get is one from a V-6 Ford Contour or Fucus and it will fit your 24" Champion with a minimal amount of tweaking.
Most of the aftermarket fans don't have the oompf to get the job done.
You need a fan that draws a lot of current, up to 30 amps or more, thats where the cooling power of a fan comes from.
Check ShaneG's post here recently for a good example of the swap.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Second the Ford Contour fan. Very powerful and relatively cheap and available at your local parts house. I had one on my 27" rad (crossflow design) I'm not sure that it will fit your top/bottom tank rad. Others will chime in.

You will have to attach the electric fan assembly to the rad. You can use brackets or the simpler barbed pull tabs that go thru the rad fins.

Nothing wrong about attaching an electric fan to your rad.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The Ford Contour (dbl fan), late 80's Taurus (single) and the mid 90's Volvo fans are all great OEM options, that will pull serious CFM, far more than your typical $125-250 aftermarket fans will. I did a bunch of research on the various options, and decided on a 9x 850 Volvo fan (also 940/960 models in certain years), with their factory relay to control it. There are lots of aftermarket control options, or you could piece together OEM sourced parts for temperature switches. (lots of info at Bronco and CJ Jeep forums)

I bought a new relay and Volvo fan from Rockauto for about $150 total. The Volvo fan is slightly smaller than the Taurus unit in blade size using the same motor. I then went to the JY and grabbed two more relays as backups for about $8 and they are easy to locate and clip out of the harness, and often times the fans will be there as well, but I don't usually buy used "high use" parts like a fan, especially when RA has them for around $100 new.

From there you can fab up a shroud or mounting straps and you are good to go. Mine will be controlled on low speed by the FITech unit, and I will control high speed by a modified fog light switch manually.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I'm 99% sure I'll be going with the Ford Contour fan as it's cheap and seems to pull A LOT of air. (Not to mention it fits!)

I'm now looking or an alternator... DrStang, I'm actually looking into the 1 wire conversion but I'd prefer something that I could hypothetically get off the shelf in case something goes wrong. I hear that people just buy an alternator for a Chevy, but which one?

I've killed a few of the stock units and each one has been warrantied out which was convenient lol. Last I checked I'm on alternator #5, and at $40 a piece, I've got my money's worth :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you need a controller and relays shoot me a PM. I've got a brand new Dakota Digital that I'm not going to use. Relays too!

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
I'd like to get rid of the spinning meat slicer that's attached to the front of my motor and free up some power, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Electricity ain't free. The power consumed by a high performance clutch-type fan is negligible at higher rpms whereas the load placed on the alternator is relatively constant. IMHO, unless your build can't support an engine-driven fan because of space or layout why change?

I have a 2 row aluminum champion radiator (24") which is pretty much a direct bolt in. For the record, I don't have any cooling issues. From what I've read, I want a puller setup and some kind of thermostat switch to activate the fan or fans. Summit has an assortment of electric fans, any recommendations?

Another area of concern is the alternator as I still have the stock 40 amp unit. I've already managed to kill a few of these O'reilly brand alternators so I'm sure I'll be needing something stronger! Any suggestions? Part numbers preferably :)

I don't have a stereo, although I'd like to add one later on so it needs to be something that could keep up with that. Also, is the stock wiring okay to use with all this? I'd imagine the fans wouldn't really be drawing power from the stock wiring as it would be hooked up to some kind of relay, only being activated by a 12v key on source. I'm curious though if the extra juice from the alternator is okay to run through the stock harness though. My harness appears to be in good shape but I'd like to hear from people who have done this before, lol.

A shopping list would be appreciated :p
More Information for HAYDEN 2710

1969 FORD MUSTANG Flex-a-lite Standard Rotation Clutch Fans 5718 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

:yoho:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went ahead and ordered this alternator:

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8002

(I know, so much for off the shelf)

Bart, I already have a flex fan. From what I've read, those fan clutches don't like anything over 4000 RPM, let alone 6500 RPM lol.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't have a mechanical fan to slice my fingers off, just a belt that they can get caught in :p

I think the mechanical fan would definitely pull more parasitic drag than an alternator, no? The 100 amp unit should be plenty. Heck, the 40 amp stock unit has probably been working 24/7 because it can barely keep up; which explains why I've killed so many of them...

I've read anywhere from a 5-20 increase in hp from swapping to electric fans.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
I have a 16" electric puller on a stand alone harness with a relay (after melting a couple of on/off switches)
Also the Factory Ford Contour v6 Fans had a recall because the fan motors would seize so your better off getting an aftermarket one

Ford Contour Recalls | RepairPal

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Second the Ford Contour fan. Very powerful and relatively cheap and available at your local parts house. I had one on my 27" rad (crossflow design) I'm not sure that it will fit your top/bottom tank rad. Others will chime in.

You will have to attach the electric fan assembly to the rad. You can use brackets or the simpler barbed pull tabs that go thru the rad fins.

Have had several electric fans attached to the radiator eventually tear up the core. Some came in attached through the fins some to the channel at either the top and bottom cross flow or sides top flow.
Some what depends on the fans power higher CFM going to cause issues sooner than lesser CFM fans. Recently had an all welded aluminum custom rad from Griggs Racing mouned to the top and bottom channels all four corners were leaking. Customer stated fas and rad had been installed 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have dual Contour fans with the cheap Summit radiator. FE with AC , holds 210 in 100* stop and go traffic with the AC on,3g Alt doing the work.

DO NOT LET ANY PART OF THE SHROUD OR BRACKET TOUCH THE RADIATOR FINS OR TUBES!!!!
Just over 2 years and the plastic rubbed a hole in a tube.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I went ahead and ordered this alternator:

Powermaster Street Alternators 8002 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

(I know, so much for off the shelf)

Bart, I already have a flex fan. From what I've read, those fan clutches don't like anything over 4000 RPM, let alone 6500 RPM lol.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't have a mechanical fan to slice my fingers off, just a belt that they can get caught in :p

I think the mechanical fan would definitely pull more parasitic drag than an alternator, no? The 100 amp unit should be plenty. Heck, the 40 amp stock unit has probably been working 24/7 because it can barely keep up; which explains why I've killed so many of them...

I've read anywhere from a 5-20 increase in hp from swapping to electric fans.
If you hook that alternator up as a one wire, it won't charge until the engine reaches a predetermined RPM. The idle RPM is usually below what the Alt needs to excite.

For optimum cooling, you will need a fan or fans that have a 3000+ CFM rating. These Derale fans are rated at 3750 and with the shroud should cool just about anything. You should also power them them using two relays because they are rated at 18amps . I don't know if that 18 amps is for one fan or both. But based on the air flow, it's probably each.
Derale Performance High Output Dual RAD Fan and Shroud Kits 16831 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I think I would use some type of isolator to mount the shroud to the rad to keep the vibration to a minimum. The rubber isolators from MSD would be perfect.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My champion radiator has some extra meat on the ends for mounting things on, more specifically an electric fan.

I'm waiting on my alternator to come in before I start fiddling with the fans. If anything, I might pick up the fan setup and at least start fitting it so I'll be good to go!

I don't have much time to drive the car the next few days anyways, might as well rip the cooling system apart lol.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These fit together waaay to easily lol... I had to trim off a tab from the top of the shroud, next to come off are the ears on the side. I'm buying some sheet metal to make a few brackets to secure everything to the radiator.

I ordered the plugs as well so I can wire up a harness. Should I just wire the fans together? Run separate relays? I plan on running this fan controller:

Flex-a-lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers 31147 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Should I buy two of them? Any other suggestions on a fan controller?

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Made some brackets out of aluminum and hacked off a few of those ears to make the fan fit.

Looks right at home!

Also swapped out the thermostat housing so I can run a temp sending unit from it for the fan relays. I wasn't too stoked on the quality of this one as opposed to the Scott Drake one I had powdercoated, but it will have to do I suppose.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts