Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had a super cobra jet R code without the original engine, would this just be worth the same as a mach 1 with a 428 none original engine or is there something special about the scj body.

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
The Super Cobra Jet would have the punch outs for the oil cooler. And of course the VIN would lead to the Marti report that shows it is an SCJ, and that's forever.

·
Vendor
3,618 Posts
Your VIN # means that the body is an SCJ forever... Not having the original mill is always a demerit, but if it makes you feel any better, I've found that a good many of SCJ cars out there have parted ways with their original motors at some point in the distant past, usually on the drag strip.

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Your VIN # means that the body is an SCJ forever... Not having the original mill is always a demerit, but if it makes you feel any better, I've found that a good many of SCJ cars out there have parted ways with their original motors at some point in the distant past, usually on the drag strip.
Yeah, the SCJ came with a rev limiter, but of course people disconnected them to go a tiny bit faster, then found out what it was for.o_O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a really nice 69 with a good 428 mill, but i wondered would it be actually worth swapping everything to the SCJ just for the vin. Would i then have something more valuable and if so by how much.
Would you do it or not.

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Yes, I would upgrade to the SCJ. The difference was the moving parts in the block, stronger rods, special balancer, oil cooler, etc. The SCJ was included with low (numerically high) axles because the engine was expected to run higher rpm. Oddly, the engine code was not affected, i.e., your R code could be either a CJ or an SCJ depending on the rear axle.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Spogs, does your car have the punch outs for the cooler ? Do you have the staggered shock setup ? Do you have a 3.91 or 4.30 axle ? Does the 428 have the LeMans rods ? LSG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spogs, does your car have the punch outs for the cooler ? Do you have the staggered shock setup ? Do you have a 3.91 or 4.30 axle ? Does the 428 have the LeMans rods ? LSG
Neither car has original engine

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
Oddly, the engine code was not affected, i.e., your R code could be either a CJ or an SCJ depending on the rear axle.
The marti says its a super so i'm assuming thats what it is.
Ordering a 3.91 or 4.30 rear gear automatically added the Drag Pack option which included the SCJ engine, oil cooler and other associated equipment. As 22GT stated the R code in the VIN was the same.
I see on your Marti that your car was ordered with the 3.91 gear.

·
Vendor
3,618 Posts
I think we're getting confused here... I think the OP is asking whether he should swap the 428 from his red car to the black SCJ car. Myself, I don't think that would get you much of anywhere for your work.

As was outlined earlier, the internals of the SCJ 428 were different. Those cars only bring the big bucks when they're done "right". Prior to being done right, the value of your SCJ lies in the rolling car and the VIN and the Marti. Dropping a random non-SCJ 428 into it doesn't do much to move the needle. You should focus upon (I think) trying to find a hopefully date-correct 428CJ, and then build it to SCJ spec (and you'll have to come up with the oil cooler gear).

If funds do not allow for such a project, and ensuing restoration, I think you do best just selling the car as-is.. Not dropping your other 428 into it, which leaves your red car without a means of motivation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think we're getting confused here... I think the OP is asking whether he should swap the 428 from his red car to the black SCJ car. Myself, I don't think that would get you much of anywhere for your work.

As was outlined earlier, the internals of the SCJ 428 were different. Those cars only bring the big bucks when they're done "right". Prior to being done right, the value of your SCJ lies in the rolling car and the VIN and the Marti. Dropping a random non-SCJ 428 into it doesn't do much to move the needle. You should focus upon (I think) trying to find a hopefully date-correct 428CJ, and then build it to SCJ spec (and you'll have to come up with the oil cooler gear).

If funds do not allow for such a project, and ensuing restoration, I think you do best just selling the car as-is.. Not dropping your other 428 into it, which leaves your red car without a means of motivation.
I think this is the answer I was looking for, not much point in the swap really.

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
Oddly, only the 4-speed CJ and SCJ had staggered shocks. Auto trans CJ and SCJ had the normal configuration. (I know you know this, but maybe not everybody)

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If I had a super cobra jet R code without the original engine, would this just be worth the same as a mach 1 with a 428 none original engine or is there something special about the scj body.
I don't know if they all got the "drag pack" or not but if so the body would be special with the shock tower reinforcements at least other than the VIN and shocks.
Depending on the options, having a Detroit Locker adds $$ as well.

·
Registered
34,422 Posts
It was kinda the other way around. If you got the Drag Pack, the engine upgrade was part of it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah, the SCJ came with a rev limiter, but of course people disconnected them to go a tiny bit faster, then found out what it was for.o_O
No rev limiter was used for the 1969 428 SCJ Mustang. 5,800 RPM rev limiters were first used for both 428 CJs and SCJs during the 1970 model year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts