Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
The holes you see there are due to moisture collecting between the overlap seams on the inner fender aprons. On my 1970, the metal from above looked to be rust free, however when I removed the front inner fender aprons to replace them, I found light rust underneath on the bottom layer. Looks like Ford did nothing to protect the metal. They simply spot welded the panels together and then painted over. So if the car is left out in the rain, the moisture seeps under and feeds the rust below. Your car likely sat out in the elements for a long time. Worse, when the car is not cared for and cleaned regularly, add dirt and other debris and the moisture is trapped longer resulting in more damage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

I pulled the engine out this weekend and found a ton of rotten metal.. I ordered floors, cowl sides and a firewall to start the body. I also arranged to borrow a buddies frame table to fixture the car for the major repairs.
The car came apart real easy.... I'm telling myself that it wants to to restored.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts