Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If that's all you broke, count your blessings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be fair it did give warning, it cracked and then it had about three good pulls on it after that. Next time maybe I'll go with the billet one.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
It's not a reflection of your MC. My original Ford e-brake handle broke off like that before 1970 or so, and in about the same exact spot. I have few memories of my car before 1969-70 (too young), but I always remembered that broken handle and Dad pulling on the E brake shaft itself instead of the sharp remains of the handle. Everything else was good with the brakes on the car at that time due to newness, they were fully functional. Ford's E brake handle was just a cheap part not well braced by design, it seems. Remember that Ford didn't spend a wooden nickel more on these cars than it had to, and sometimes it showed more than others. Today, a billet handle would be the way to go. Whenever I use the e-brake, I pull on the shaft itself where the handle is attached to it, not the repro handle which is there mainly for looks IMHO.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
it's hard to describe ,but it takes a special technique to use those with out breaking them. using 2 fingers 1 on either side of the post and a thumb pushing back on the front.
I recall the 1st time @dobrostang let me in his car to do an inspection ,he mentioned something to the effect of being relieved I knew how to release the Parking brake without it breaking

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hold your foot on the brake while pulling the e brake handle.

·
Vendor
3,628 Posts
it's hard to describe ,but it takes a special technique to use those with out breaking them. using 2 fingers 1 on either side of the post and a thumb pushing back on the front.
I recall the 1st time @dobrostang let me in his car to do an inspection ,he mentioned something to the effect of being relieved I knew how to release the Parking brake without it breaking
This ^^^

·
Registered
34,478 Posts
Exactly right. My repro handle is over 30 years old because I do this. Maybe some day I'll swap it for a nice black billet handle.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I've had my Mustang since 1984 and I can tell you the only time I have ever used the parking brake . In August 1993 i was driving from Sacramento to Vancouver Island to go visit my future wife . Around Williams ,Cal i was pulled over for driving 80mph . The officer asked if my horn worked . I reached behind the seat and grabbed the factory steering wheel horn and showed him the broken ring on the back and the new part that was in the ashtray . He then asked if the e-brake worked . Oops . I pulled the handle all the way out with 1 finger as the cable was shot . Luckily all I got was a fix it ticket. The car has new cables but I never use them .

·
Registered
34,320 Posts
I've broken three and, yes, I "straddle" the handle with my index and middle finger. If Ford didn't intend you to use the whole handle they would have saved 1/2 a cent and made it shorter....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you that the edges on the broken handle are very sharp. It's lucky I didn't cut the crap out of myself. I always take good care and maintain my brakes. I swap out the fluid every two years and I even lather up the exterior of the MC with gear oil to keep it looking pretty and free of rust.
As far as trying to grab the rod along with the handle I keep my emergency brake adjusted so there's absolutely no slack, it's the handle or nothing. Maybe I'll try loosening it up a little bit.

Putting your foot on the brake while you pull it is good advice. I do that when I park it in my driveway which has a slope to it. Living in south Louisiana there is absolutely no hills so you really don't get a chance to use it for what it is made for. I have always wanted to give it a good pull while I'm rolling down the road just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I broke two of them, one right after the other, and then went with the billet one. I'm not a fan of billet, and I still don't like the way it looks for my parking brake, but I live with it.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I also am still rock’n an original handle but I never hand the car to another driver with the ebrake on and am diligent about the pull. I believe originals hage a little more reinforcement about half way out the handle as they usially break half way along the handle as opposed to the repops that break completely as shown above. So the 2 finger method around the shaft works. I also don’t jerk it but pull with a nice steadily increasing force whilst pushing the brake pedal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can tell you that the edges on the broken handle are very sharp. It's lucky I didn't cut the crap out of myself. I always take good care and maintain my brakes. I swap out the fluid every two years and I even lather up the exterior of the MC with gear oil to keep it looking pretty and free of rust.
As far as trying to grab the rod along with the handle I keep my emergency brake adjusted so there's absolutely no slack, it's the handle or nothing. Maybe I'll try loosening it up a little bit.

Putting your foot on the brake while you pull it is good advice. I do that when I park it in my driveway which has a slope to it. Living in south Louisiana there is absolutely no hills so you really don't get a chance to use it for what it is made for. I have always wanted to give it a good pull while I'm rolling down the road just to see what would happen.
Give yourself plenty of distance to stop and down shift ( I had automatic at time).

Rear hydraulic brake line failed on axle with single jar master cylinder and power 4 wheel drums.

Down shifting, pulling brake handle, and placing in neutral (near stop). That was an interesting 15 minute drive home through town.

Just broke my handle this fall. This one has been on car for 25+ years. Even with the special technique we have learned to do. It separated at spot weld at pivot point.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I know it looks a bit different, but the 67 e-brake handle has a piece of metal in the middle that your 65/66s seem to be lacking. When I bought my car the handle was broken but it was just the plastic broken off, the metal reinforcement was still there. You can see it in this grainy old picture:

Using a 67 piece might be a slightly cheaper alternative to that very nice looking billet piece Caper50 just posted while I was digging this picture up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The handle that just broke, had the metal bar spot welded to the tube to mount on shaft.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts