Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed one of these, and I swear the thing is so loose it would bounce off if I hit a good bump. On closer inspection I see the locking ears on the original are about flush with the chrome edge of the cap, whereas the ears on the Drake piece protrude another 3/16 or so- too far to allow the gasket to seat on the filler, and enough to give it a serious wobble. I'd throw another gasket or two on to adjust, but I'm not real anxious to grind the rivets off a brand new cap- it looks like the gasket mounts underneath the center portion.

Has anyone else encountered this? It it normal for this cap?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I put a SD on my 64.5 bout a year ago fit great, just broke the thing a week ago though trying to get gas in my car, ordered a new one so hopefully i don't have the problem ur having

oh and the one before that was SD and fit great, the problem though that i've had with both my last ones is they will come half off then get stuck like that where i've literally had to break them off to get gas in my car.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Just installed one of these, and I swear the thing is so loose it would bounce off if I hit a good bump. On closer inspection I see the locking ears on the original are about flush with the chrome edge of the cap, whereas the ears on the Drake piece protrude another 3/16 or so- too far to allow the gasket to seat on the filler, and enough to give it a serious wobble. I'd throw another gasket or two on to adjust, but I'm not real anxious to grind the rivets off a brand new cap- it looks like the gasket mounts underneath the center portion.

Has anyone else encountered this? It it normal for this cap?
They have good customer support. Maybe you could take pictures of the differences between your new one and your original and email it to them....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had an issue last summer with one. I filled my car up and went to work the gas expanded during the heat of the day and ruined it. Va Mustang and SD made right and replaced it so I m happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
I had an issue last summer with one. I filled my car up and went to work the gas expanded during the heat of the day and ruined it. Va Mustang and SD made right and replaced it so I m happy.
+1 on that. Happened to me a couple years ago - I filled up, then backed the car out of the garage and let it sit on the driveway while I did some stuff. Gas expanded, dripped out the gas cap (pop open type) and lifted the paint below the gascap on tha taillight panel and valence. Had to have them repainted. I was NOT a happy camper that day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Guys, We have found an issue with the caps mentioned above, and have fixed the problem. Our current inventory doesn not have this problem, and the dealer where the cap was purchased should not have a problem exchanging it (I would check to make sure he has the corrected cap, as sometimes inventory may sit on a dealers shelf for a while). Concerning the gas expansion issue, this is an ongoing issue with these cars and we have experienced this problem with other manufacturers caps. One of the problems is, in many areas, the fuel nozzle assemblyy in use do not allow the nozzle to go into the filler neck as deeply as the system was designed for. The only fix I know of is the use a lot of care when filling up the tank to make sure it isn't too full. That's a feat I quite honestly have not mastered yet. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Guys, We have found an issue with the caps mentioned above, and have fixed the problem. Our current inventory doesn not have this problem, and the dealer where the cap was purchased should not have a problem exchanging it (I would check to make sure he has the corrected cap, as sometimes inventory may sit on a dealers shelf for a while).
That's good to hear.
I have one of your caps I bought a year or two ago that is still in the
packaging, is there anyway to tell if it's the one with the problem or not?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It would be difficult to tell if it's one of the problem caps while it is still in the package, unfortunately. We don't know exactly when the problem presented itself. I can only suggest you remove it from the package and see if there's any movement at all with the assembly. The part with the tabs on it should be securely swedged into the assembly. If not, I would get a new one from the dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, there may be more than one problem with these, then. Mine is tightly assembled, it's just that the locking ears protrude 3/16 further away from the base than the original, and thus the gasket doesn't come anywhere near the filler pipe.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
datac, do you have any pictures showing the two so we can see what's going on with your cap? That would help us a great deal. Thanks - Tim
Tim, correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying to help. If I undertand correctly many times repro parts are made without engineering drawings being availible. The maker/producer attempts to copy an original. Having spent most of my career in product design and manufacturing many times the function and performance specifications are more important than the appearance (looks good!). Often engineering drawings have specifications and flagged critical to quality dimensions. Without this info producing a so called quality repo is problematic at best.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's the new cap:

New cap measures appx. 3/8" from gasket to ear:

Original cap measures appx. 1/4" from gasket to ear:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slim, We are fortunate that usually (but not always) we have access to the original Ford prints to use in the manufacture of reproduction parts. On some parts these are not available so our second choice is to find as good an NOS part as we can find. If possible, having both will be ideal. The Ford prints sometimes do not have all the data we need to make the parts as manufactured since these were given to suppliers with the critical dimensions, but possibly a few less important dimensions left out, or a range given. As an example, an arm rest pad drawing will certainly have width, length and height, and radii for side to side and front to back). Dimensions for the remaining radii may either be missing or called out as, for example, R.12-R.25. We could make the radii R.12 and technically meet Ford specs, but if the original manufacturer made the radii R.20 it wouldn't be the same as the original. OEM parts have their own issues, as even parts stored in ideal circumstances do not always hold up over time. As an example, we purchased several NOS unused armrests, still in the original boxes and all had separation of the vinyl from the foam, degradation of the foam and shrinkage of the vinyl. Another issue is materials. Original materials are not always available, due to obsolescence or environmental issues, so it can be necessary to find materials that closely mimic the originals. Qualitywise you are correct. Certainly the manufacturer was more concerned with function than appearance. There are certainly other issues, but those are some of the more important ones. Thanks - Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
datac - I will check out the issue with the caps tomorrow morning, when I have access to the drawings, original caps, etc. Thanks - Tim

Not sure why I'm logged on as Drake Muscle Cars instead of Scott Drake Enterprises.

·
Registered
97 Posts
datac - I looked at the caps we had and it should be close to the 1/4 inch you measured on the original. I assume the Drake cap you got was either missing the copper shim under the gasket (it's visible on the picture of the original cap you posted, but not on the pictures of the reproduction) or the shim is upside down or bent. Either way the Drake piece you have is defective and you should return it to your dealer for a replacement. Unfortunately, thes things happen from time to time and I am sorry you received a bad part. If you have any trouble returning it let me know and I will make it right. Thanks - Tim

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
You could also try two different things... Try a KS Repro instead - They are really nice.. , or just put an extra gasket or two on the cap, and glue them together. It's worth a shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts