Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 4 Legendary LW20 15x7 wheels and the Drake Mustang center caps. The screws that are in the cap packages will not tighten properly. I bought metric screws locally, thinking that the included ones were wrong but they too will not allow the caps to snug against the wheel. There's a gap, they spin and rattle. Is this what I have to live with? Over $160 for each wheel plus over $100 for 4 caps. No response from the reps at Scott Drake in Nevada on this, so far. Not happy. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also had an issue like what you are speaking g of. I resolved it by drilling two holes to match the cover. It was a number of years ago and I do t recall the particulars but I did take some pictures. Hope this helps. After spending that kind of money you’d think it would bolt together and work as expected.
good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. My caps have a metal cup that sits inside the wheel with holes for the screws to pass into the back of the cap. Sorry I deleted the photos, but the screws just don't seem to be long enough. I emailed SD, no reply yet. If I can't get them to work with screws I might try some adhesive like Liquid Nails.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to find the photos I posted previously. As you can see, the little black screws don't work.
Screenshot_20200326-161001_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20200326-160933_DuckDuckGo.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a reply from a tech at Scott Drake yesterday. He said the screws are correct and I have to force them in the holes as they are self tapping. I already tried that which was the problem - - they don't do anything except tear up the holes. I went to the hardware store and got some small metric hex head screws that fit the threads so I'm going with them plus lock washers and ThreadLocker. He also said that they no longer can sell the Mustang caps since Ford withdrew their license in December. So I guess any out there are 2019 or older and who knows where to get them anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
I wonder if they sold you the ones for the reproduction Styled Steel wheels instead of the aluminum ones. They are a little different.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't think of that. I got them from CJ and it's way too late to return them. I retapped the threads on the cap I was working on and hopefully the other 3 will work out. If not, maybe I can adapt the spinner type. I have a few weeks to work on this since Diane's still in paint.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a little update on this gut wrenching cap fight. I got a email from Paul at Legendary Wheels as I said previously, here's the text :
"Jon the screws are correct. The screws are self tapping so a little hard to start. 2 screws is also all you really need. You probably think that does not make sense. We did this because years ago people we really tightening down the screws to make sure they would not loosen up and they would separate the Hubcap. You just need to get these snug and they will never back out.

That being said I think you may still have a problem where the Silver Retainer Plate hits the Black Backing Plate so even when fully tightened it will rattle on the Rim. If that is the case please see attached pictures for an easy way to correct this. I am going to guess your Hubcaps are over 2 years old as we did made a product improvement. But we lost our Ford Licensing on these Hubcaps on 12/31/2019 so we have no longer carry these. On the fronts depending on which grease cap Silver backing plate might hit it and slightly push out the hub cap. Unlikely but something to watch for as most grease caps have been beaten down with a metal hammer over the years. Some new ones might just barely touch. Hope this helps."
As he says, the back plate still wasn't tight even after I bent the lips (photos attached), so I rummaged in my junk box and found 4 , 1/16" thick rubber gaskets on some old toggle bolts. I cut them to fit the back of the caps and used contact cement to secure them. The holes were done with a paper punch. I did one wheel as a mock up test and the little black screws (2) held nicely and there's no rattle. The other 3 I'll get to tomorrow. Or maybe the next day...
This is a long litany but I hope that anyone who has this experience might benefit from my frustrating adventure. 20180515_190128_resized.jpg 20180515_190600_resized.jpg 20200402_164311.jpg 20200402_164219.jpg

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Nothing like spending $800 on wheels, then having to modify them to make them work on the car that they were sold to fit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got legendary rims and I believe that I had to use longer screws to get them to work. I did order the caps from legendary with the rims. Caps fit nice and tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts