Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience/ knowledge about the Scott Drake Doors? I have an opportunity to buy some at a good price. But it needs to be by tomorrow! (from Greg's List)

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sometimes, the quality of Scott Drake stuff can be a crap shoot. In your shoes, I would take down some logical critical measurements from your original doors and then compare them to the new doors before you hand over cash. Not too long ago, I was considering the purchase of a new Dynacorn Shelby style '66 hood listed for a great price on CL. After some hard pushing, the seller finally admitted that he was selling it because it was almost an inch too short!

P

·
0 Posts
Drake doesn't make the doors. They will be the same as sold anywhere. I recently bought a set of '69 repro doors and they were pretty damn good.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Drake doesn't make the doors. They will be the same as sold anywhere. I recently bought a set of '69 repro doors and they were pretty damn good.
I doubt that Scott Drake will tell you specifically which factory/line made the doors other than "they're made off shore." (The telephone rep might not even have access to the specifics.) However, I think that the statement that "They will be the same as sold anywhere." is much too broad an assumption. If the doors are like the hood and the trunk lid, there are several factories stamping the same part overseas. Indeed, one set of dies and one plant's quality control systems may be superior to another plant's practices. It may even be the case that for a period of time, one plant exceeds the rest and then at another time, a different plant rises to the top.

I know that this isn't necessarily helpful but it's better than diving in with the bad assumption that the repo doors are all the same (though they may be... I don't know).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes they are, more than you realize.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I've seen some variation with my own eyes.

For the OP, you could call Goodmark Sales Manager Tony Pascale directly (770) 207-5069. I found him to be a straight-shooter when I had questions about the hoods and the trunk lids. His answer won't be a guess spoken with the false authority of a "sure" answer.

P

·
0 Posts
We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. I've seen some variation with my own eyes.

For the OP, you could call Goodmark Sales Manager Tony Pascale directly (770) 207-5069. I found him to be a straight-shooter when I had questions about the hoods and the trunk lids. His answer won't be a guess spoken with the false authority of a "sure" answer.
Hey, I've only been doing this (Mustangs )for 35 years, having bought my first 41 years ago. What do I know? Perhaps it's not such the manufacturer of the door, but the year? But hey . . I commented on a '69 since that was the pic in the OPs post, but again just silly details.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey, I've only been doing this (Mustangs )for 35 years, having bought my first 41 years ago. What do I know? Perhaps it's not such the manufacturer of the door, but the year? But hey . . I commented on a '69 since that was the pic in the OPs post, but again just silly details.
I am genuinely happy for you that you bought repop '69 doors that fit as you expected them to. Just silly details but the recommendation to the OP was that he should not simply assume that all repop doors will fit like a dream. Better to be safe and take some critical measurements original vs repop before laying out cash.

Nobody's insulting your years of experience here.

P

·
0 Posts
I am genuinely happy for you that you bought repop '69 doors that fit as you expected them to. Just silly details but the recommendation to the OP was that he should not simply assume that all repop doors will fit like a dream. Better to be safe and take some critical measurements original vs repop before laying out cash.

Nobody's insulting your years of experience here.
You are assuming that. You are late to the party here. This stuff has been hashed and rehashed over and over. It may seem new to you . . it's not for most of us. We ( I ) provide valid answers to valid questions. I'm not trying to write an all-know -all book here on Mustangs. The search function does wonders . . you have many years to catch up on.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are assuming that. You are late to the party here. This stuff has been hashed and rehashed over and over. It may seem new to you . . it's not for most of us. We ( I ) provide valid answers to valid questions. I'm not trying to write an all-know -all book here on Mustangs. The search function does wonders . . you have many years to catch up on.
YOU said, "Drake doesn't make the doors. They will be the same as sold anywhere." You made a sweeping absolute statement as fact. I suspect that you simply misspoke. It's OK, we're all human and humans make mistakes.

I'm not so much "late to the party here" as you are demonstrating your insecurity. I'm not trying to offend, I'm just making an observation. Generally, your answers ARE valid and I'm not trying to take anything away from you. However, you ARE trying to offend me and again, you're making assumptions. As you don't know me personally, I think that it's inappropriate for you to "cast stones" about my experience. I'm not belittling YOU here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pete, do you mind to share which brand doors were good for the 69? And where they came from? I just went thru 6 Dynacorn LH doors for a 69. Had to send them back due to door frames being warped or the handle holes punched wrong.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ? Here is a little more of the story. The guy I am meeting today has 4 doors, 2 new re-pops ( he says with minor shipping damage?) and 2 original doors that he was replacing. I was very interested in the new doors, but if they are bent or damaged ?? I was thinking If the used original doors aren't too bad, I might get them? both sets are priced low.

I guess the final result will be determined by the amount of damage on the "Drake" Doors. AND The amount of damage on the Original Doors? I just don't want to buy something I already have (junk Doors) or waste my money! not to mention the 2 hours out and back to get em!

I am gonna meet up with him at about 10 AM Central So I will post the results when I return today/ this evening!

If anyone has any helpful comments, please make em! Thanks!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Trying to determine your starting point. Evidently the original doors are badly damaged, rusted or botr, right? Have you done work on or replaced thr quarter panels or front fenders? Do the original doors fit if other things have changed?

Guy on Craig's list is selling shipping damaged repo doors. I'd wonder why he didn't fix or return. Did he use the same source and how did they fit. Keep in mind buying OEM used part from Craig's list is low risk assuming you look at the part before buying. Repo doors
from Craig's list = no recourse.

·
Vendor
3,780 Posts
For 65-66 doors, there are (at least, to my knowledge) two different factories building shells in Taiwan, both actually very-good for what you pay (one is a step-up in heft, but for a heftier price).

Now, for 69-70 doors, I think that Pete is right (for now), that there's only one active tooling-set/factory doing 69-70 doors.

I'm not absolute, I'm just kinda-sorta-sure.

P

·
0 Posts
I won't gloat . . :)

If you can get two serviceable originals, IMO, that is always the way to go. But if you must go repro, they aren't bad.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I won't gloat . . :)
Good to hear it as there's nothing for you to gloat about. Rick confirmed that there are indeed multiple factories and multiple dies.

Thank you Rick for the straight scoop!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, just to close up this thread...I will post my results. I am really happy and I think I scored big time! AND not to identify anyone we will call the Seller- Dude! I knew from Greg's list that dude had 2 doors used and 2 doors new. and after our text conversation he advised that I could purchase any or all of the doors. (I had asked what the brand name of the doors prior to going to see him.) After we talked for a bit I learned that the used doors were original 69 FB Doors, and the new doors were Scott Drake and were damaged in shipping.

(according to him, he was restoring a 69 for a customer which had no ceiling-budget!. He ordered the doors and when they arrived damaged, they were replaced by the selling company and did not want the damaged ones back. He was now selling them).

I looked at all the doors and after the conversations of repops and stuff might and might not fitting correctly. I looked at the used originals and thought that they were the better deal. I purchased both LH and RH doors for $150. and was happy. Here is a couple of pics. I watched him remove the VIN plate from the drivers side door prior to me loading em up in my truck! I believe the rivets were original also!

2 Original 69 doors in good shape..... for $150.00 !

Thanks

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
:stirpot: I'm confident 68 doors use/require different die than 65/66.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts