Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can clarify something for me.
I purchased two Scott Drake lower control arms for my 69 Mustang. When I tried to add grease in the fittings the grease came out from under the control arm where the ball joint is riveted on and the rubber boot did not fill. I called Scott Drake and they told me the ball joints were already filled with grease. After examining the ball joint, in my opinion it appears there is no grease in the rubber boot. So... has anyone who purchased the two tone Scott Drake lower control arms had the same issue?
Thank you!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the same problem with the Scott Drake Lower Control arms, Ball Joint and Idler arm. When I put the grease in, it just oozed out the side, I am hoping it is because they have already been greased.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
FWIW, when you pump the ball joint full of grease it should fill the boot, and the excess will come out the vent. If it doesn't get to the boot, then it's defective and needs to be returned. Use Moog parts. Not as pretty, but at least they are quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same questions when I installed my Scott Drake LCAs. Pumped grease into the ball joints and they shot out the sides without filling up the boot. Did tons of searching across multiple boards and the consensus was that the LCAs were pre-filled and didn't need to be greased initially, but after after few thousand miles they recommended adding some grease to the ball joints. I've had mine in for probably over a month now, been driving on them and checking them every now and then, so far everything seems fine. Guess only time will tell right.

·
Registered
Mustang 1966 coupe and a 1969 Mach 1
11 Posts
I'm not touching those Scott Drake LCA anymore. I've had multiple on my 1966 coupe, they didn't even last 5000km. Same problem, put grease in and it came out the bottom.
Got a pair of tubular UCA and LCA From Global West years ago. years of abuse and 30.000km later, no play anywhere.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
I purchased "dorman" upper and lower control arms for my 65 because the upper and lower control arms I bought for my C10 were excellent quality. I put them on like 5 years, +/-25-30K miles ago, so far so good. The only annoyance was I had to tap both LCA ball joints for zerk fittings (and based on how much grease I added, they were empty). If I recall correctly, I remember the LCA's even being better (thicker) than the originals. I also did the shelby mod, added rollers spring perches, and solid strut rods.

Unfortunately, Moog is now a crap shoot on country of origin for their parts. Sometimes you luck out and get USA, sometimes you don't.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I purchased ... Scott Drake...
I found the problem!

Seriously, you'll find out over time, "Scott Drake" and "good quality" are rarely used in the same post.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
I found the problem!

Seriously, you'll find out over time, "Scott Drake" and "good quality" are rarely used in the same post.
So true. Buy suspension parts from a suspension parts manufacturer, not a restoration parts company that spray paints the China sourced arms to look like OEM and charges a premium. Moog CK8123 arms are about $40, no reason to buy the Drake two-tone garbage.

Moog has two lines, the R-line, which is their "compete with the junk the chain parts stores sell", and the C-line, which is their premium, or "back in the day, what every parts store sold". C carries a lifetime warranty, R carries a 3 year.

Scott Drake says this about their warranty

Loosely translated - hey, thanks for your money, now go pound sand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts