Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing the Scott Drake 6k low profile rally pac in my 65 GT. Everything went fine except the clock only runs when the door is open. I used the supplied jumper to catch the door light supply as the instructions said. The instructions state that if the clock does not run when the door is closed the connection must be changed. Any help as to what to change it to? Need something that is powered all the time...thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Funny you should ask!! I just went through the same exact thing with my car. Everything was a-ok until I closed the door! Ha! I was about to post a thread, but got online and saw a Mustang Monthly tech tip on installing the Rally pac.
I have a deluxe interior with the in door courtesy lights and thought that may have something to do with it, but I read where with the green and yellow wire going to the door jamb switch needs to be connected to the clock feed wire. The other wire at the end of the harness goes into the switch. I made this change and it works great! Good luck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great clue... I connected the jumper directly to the door switch and then jumped in the courtesy light. Voila! clock tells time all the time. Thanks much for your help!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Guys--what do you think about the build quality of the Scott Drake rally-pac? I've would like to put a rally-pac on my car, but am not sure which reproduction to buy to maintain an original appearance. I'd appreciate your thoughts since you actually have one on your mustangs.

Thanks!
-Sam

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Housing and dials are excellent quality. The wiring left a little to be desired - the underdash harness has one more wire than the instructions call for. A phone call to Scott Drake resolved that - it is not used. The wiring coming from the pac was also different than the instructions. Everything is color coded but the actual pac wiring did not jive with the photos in the instructions. Another call to Drake, never got a return phone call. Figured it out myself. I've got an intermittent buzz from the clock - its a rattle. Will have to figure that out. Drake is the best out there - the unit looks fantastic. Only alternative would be to buy an OEM but that will run much more $$$ restored. I'd give it a 10 on form and function and a 3 on instruction clarity and wiring. You think for that kind of money they could wire it up right. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have the rest of my interior tore apart for sound and carpet replacement, so I haven't gotten to enjoy it too much yet. The Scott Drake pacs are designed to work with the Pertronix ignitor, so that was a selling point for me. I too was a little mixed up with the extra wire in the harness, but over all a very easy installation.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the heads-up on the quality and wiring. Pretty sweet that it's meant to work with the ignitor since I have that one my car too.

Looks like my budget will now have to factor in the Drake rally-pac :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts