Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While test driving my car after the installation of the SD Corso Feroce Steering Wheel I notice the turn signals won't cancel after a turn. Turns out the hub was machined wrong with the canceling tabs pointing straight up. I tried rotating the wheel on the hub to make it work but since it's a 9 hole mount I couldn't get it near the 90º to the left from straight up that it should be. Of course the drift pins they use as the cancelers are 3/8" too short anyway so even trying to rig it to somewhat work was futile. Scott Drake and China, quite a pair!

There were dots on the other side of the hub to indicate the straight up position for the notch on the steering shaft and steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at the Summit website it appears the SD, Lecarra, and Volante 9 hole hubs are identical. SSDB, same stuff different box. I'll call Summit tomorrow and see if they can send me one of each to improve my odds of success the second time around. I just love having to deal with this stuff, and you know having to deal with it is built into Summits pricing as the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Scott Drake should replace your wheel free of charge if you send them you screwed up wheel. Especially if its a manufacturing error. They'll replace it free of charge. Just give them a call.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My LeCarra didn't have a clocking issue but getting the drift pins set to work properly took a little time, I don't know if I've ever had an early Mustang that cancelled the turn signals properly 100% of the time

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have you tried removing the cancelling cam (orange part on your old wheel) and installing it on the SD wheel? I've done it in the past and works much better than the roll pins provided. Only thing is to measure the snout it is installed on to make sure they are the same diameter.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I ended up installing the GT Performance Horn Button to replace the Grant POS one.

I used the Grant lower mount but had to build up the turn signal cancel nub with some JB weld in order for it to cancel properly.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Wow. Don’t have any quick fix for that situation.
Actually met SD one time back when he still owned this company outright. He actually indicated he was interested in “fixing” stuff that wasn’t quite right. Alias, that wasn’t the case, even back then.....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a girl at Summit. Made the mistake of speaking with someone from problems with your order when I should have called tech support. I make that mistake every couple of years. She's trying unsuccessfully to get in touch with SD. I guess I can just drill my own holes through the horn contact and hub hoping I don't crack the horn contact plastic. I'd obviously have to clearance the holes afterward to avoid shorting out. I am so sick of crap parts!

·
Registered
240 Posts
While test driving my car after the installation of the SD Corso Feroce Steering Wheel I notice the turn signals won't cancel after a turn. Turns out the hub was machined wrong with the canceling tabs pointing straight up. I tried rotating the wheel on the hub to make it work but since it's a 9 hole mount I couldn't get it near the 90º to the left from straight up that it should be. Of course the drift pins they use as the cancelers are 3/8" too short anyway so even trying to rig it to somewhat work was futile. Scott Drake and China, quite a pair!

There were dots on the other side of the hub to indicate the straight up position for the notch on the steering shaft and steering wheel.
I bought the same set up from NPD and haven’t tried to install it yet because my car is still at the paint shop. Should I just return it and try something else?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the same set up from NPD and haven’t tried to install it yet because my car is still at the paint shop. Should I just return it and try something else?
I think NPD is selling the same thing only different. I think the hubs are all the same regardless of what the box says.

I just got a new order status and UPS return label from Summit. I guess they are shipping me another one. We shall see.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, here's the update and probable conclusion. Got another hub same as the last. That's the way they are made for all, regardless of who's name is on the box. Tried to call SD several times over several hours and always a busy signal. Talked with Summit tech support and they could not offer much help but suggested I call one of the other sellers of the same thing in other boxes. So I called Volante and got a real human on the first ring! While he couldn't outright admit they were all using the same hub he did inform be that there's did come with both the roll pin and cancelling clip option. Basically they don't seem to care where the cancelling pins are located because eventually with enough turns of the wheel, the pins if they are long enough will cancel the turn signals. I guess, once again old Nailbender want's something to function like the original. Crazy talk, I know.

Pictured below the Volante version with the cancelling clip SD does not offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but if your hub is bolted to your wheel and its a 9 bolt wheel can't you just re-clock the wheel to hub to move the pins to the 9 oclock? The other thing that seems odd to me is the lip on the Volante hub you showed the photo of. How does that work? I thought the 9 bolt steering wheel frame bolted flat to the hub. As you can tell, I am not a steering wheel expert - or much of an expert in much of anything else. I don't even want to talk about after market trunk lids.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I'm missing something but if your hub is bolted to your wheel and its a 9 bolt wheel can't you just re-clock the wheel to hub to move the pins to the 9 oclock?
That would be possible on a 8 bolt wheel. Don't know that they exist. I have a choice of something like 8 or 10 o'clock. I'm avoiding going out to the garage to deal with it but I guess I'd better get off my butt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is it possible to get just the cancelling clip? Also when you install can you take a picture? I have a 9-bolt wheel from Cobranda which appears to be the same hub. When I got my car it had a cheapo 13 inch wheel on there and the turn signals have never cancelled.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, here's what I did. After trying different things including trying to move the column up to meet the canceling tabs, and moving the column down to try to make the factory wheel canceling clip work with no joy I decided to pull, with much effort, the original roll pins and install longer ones. I installed the new roll pins approximately 5/16" beyond the end of the hub and installed the hub with the pins as close to the 9 o'clock position as possible. It's still on the lift but it seems to work fine! 1st picture is the way it's shipped and the 2nd is with the new pins. I'd buy the Volante version because it is cheaper and ships without the pins installed. Those pins are a bugger to get out!
I hope this saves somebody a little aggravation someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
So, here's what I did. After trying different things including trying to move the column up to meet the canceling tabs, and moving the column down to try to make the factory wheel canceling clip work with no joy I decided to pull, with much effort, the original roll pins and install longer ones. I installed the new roll pins approximately 5/16" beyond the end of the hub and installed the hub with the pins as close to the 9 o'clock position as possible. It's still on the lift but it seems to work fine! 1st picture is the way it's shipped and the 2nd is with the new pins. I'd buy the Volante version because it is cheaper and ships without the pins installed. Those pins are a bugger to get out!
I hope this saves somebody a little aggravation someday.

Thanks for posting your solution - I'm in two minds regarding going to a smaller wheel and your posts have been really informative.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for posting your solution - I'm in two minds regarding going to a smaller wheel and your posts have been really informative.
Even in the autocross community there are there are 2 schools of thought. Some say the larger wheel adds precision. Those people have cars with rack and pinion systems that give a little over 2 turns lock to lock. I'm currently at 3 1/4 turns lock to lock and and still go hand over hand in the corners. I'd like to see how the smaller wheel works at tomorrows autocross but it's looking like a washout weather wise.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Even in the autocross community there are there are 2 schools of thought. Some say the larger wheel adds precision. Those people have cars with rack and pinion systems that give a little over 2 turns lock to lock. I'm currently at 3 1/4 turns lock to lock and and still go hand over hand in the corners. I'd like to see how the smaller wheel works at tomorrows autocross but it's looking like a washout weather wise.
@dobrostang said the same thing about larger wheels and precision to me when I mentioned wanting to try a 14" wheel(maybe he read it here?). Any way in my head ,a smaller wheel = quicker turning albeit some what harder to do

1 - 20 of 26 Posts