Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one better than the other??? Do both kits result in equivalent smoother clutch pedal operation???

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
I have not used Steve's product, but since it incorporates sealed bearings, it should be quite smooth. I have used the Drake product, and it was surprisingly smooth, considering it uses the clutch pedal shaft as the inner bearing race. First time was the acid test, a 428 Cobra Jet, and with the Drake kit installed, a 12-year-old girl could have pressed the clutch to the floor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i also installed the scot drake one and i like it. the pedal shaft was so badly grooved i had to replace it witch took a half an hour with a grinder and a sledge hammer. the new one just welds on. it works perfectly and the pedal is so much smoother now. i recomend it.

·
Premium Member
10,953 Posts
i have used the caged needle bearing kit and the sealed ball bearing kit. the ball bearing kit is the only way to go.

·
Registered
21,013 Posts
Can't comment on the Scott Drake kit but I'm using Mustangsteve's set up. I like it very much. He was great to deal with as well. I sent him my support and peddle. He repaired a worn spot on the peddle and turn around was quick. It's a very robust bearing assembly!

Here's the rest of my linkage. I made my own with rod ends. The stock is for comparison. My clutch works very smoothly. I also ditched the big spring and I'm using a diaphragm plate.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's the rest of my linkage. I made my own with rod ends. The stock is for comparison. My clutch works very smoothly. I also ditched the big spring and I'm using a diaphragm plate.
Nice work on the rods... I bought a replacement upper rod in order to do the same thing....

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have Mustang Steve's cable clutch kit and sealed bearing kit on my pedal support. Quality parts and good instructions. I have it welded onto my pedal support, but haven't used it in the car yet. The pedal is very smooth though and should be even smoother and easier when I'm using my foot instead of my hand.

·
Registered
21,013 Posts
Nice work on the rods... I bought a replacement upper rod in order to do the same thing....

Thanks! it wasn't rocket science. I bought the rod ends from Grainger and 3/8 cold rolled rod from the local hardware store. The rod ends are 3/8 X 24 NFT

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I have the Drake kit. Works very well.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have the Drake one that I'm about to intall in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to having a smoother pedal and not squeeking. LOL...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I sent my pedal support to Mustang Steve and let him do it. $85 and a great job.

Get heim jointed upper and lower clutch rods also. I got mine from Opentracker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts