Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that the screeching noise was coming from the brace on the alt. bracket - but I took the brace off and I still get this noise and the engine does not start.
I have tried several times over the last few weeks but I am just frustrating myself.
Any ideas out here how I can get this noise to stop so that I can get my Mustang back up and running? TIA Patty

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
water pump?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Any other belts (pulleys)that may be mis-aligned?
SWMBO's vert had one like that.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Squealing bearing? Is it old or new? Usually does not make a difference as I have played the "Nope, not this one either" game with the parts dude on more than one occasion with alternators. Fortunately they know me so we skip the whole "It's probably your fault" conversation and they give me a new and possibly working alternator.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Take a long screw driver, or metal rod, put you thumb over the end and put it up to your ear. Place the other end on the water pump, alternator, idler pulley, etc. When you hear the bad one, you will know it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you were going to tell me to hammer the screwdriver into my ear. What will I be listening for to know it is a bad? Thank you for your reply! Patty

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,736 Posts
You're saying you get a screeching noise while cranking the engine, which won't start?
Sounds like you'd best grab an assistant. One of you try to start the car, and the other check out what is going on under the hood. Look for obvious stuff first, like a pulley not turning or something. Try and pinpoint the noise and go from there.
A "remote starter" button is good for this type thing. Most folks don't have one and just volunteer a helper to operate the ignition switch. There are other ways but I have the feeling sticking with a helper would be best.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I got my son to turn the key and I see no movement at all. I thought that it was the alt. brace rubbing on the alt. blades but the noise persisted once the bottom brace was removed. If nothing moves, what could the problem be? TIA - Patty

·
Registered
112 Posts
I thought that the screeching noise was coming from the brace on the alt. bracket - but I took the brace off and I still get this noise and the engine does not start.
I didn't read you post good enough the first time. ford68mustang might be on the right track. If you have a bad spot on your flywheel gear, when the starter tries to engage, it will sound terrible. If the starter is engaging, and the engine is not turning over. you can pull the starter and have a look at the gears.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,736 Posts
If the engine doesn't turn over and you get a hell of a screech when trying to crank, yes indeed, you have starter and/or flywheel trouble. It's possible the bolts holding the starter are just loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts