Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roadracer (et al) were all geeked about some good ol' boy at Hallett last year running a 'Jericho' transmission. They could tell what it was by how fast it shifted. What the hell were those jokers talking about?

:D

-bob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jerico.

Just grab and pull to change gears (no clutch). Extreme heavy-duty case and gears, lighter than a Top Loader. Not cheap 4000.00 for a new one.

BTW invented by a Drag Racer. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So speed shifting is it's big deal then? I know drag racers are all about fast shifting (thought they all used automatics, go figure!), but are these Jerico transmissions worthwhile for a road course car? I am clearly not good enough that this would matter, shifting fast is the least of my problems. But when you're good (like roadracer) is this a thing that makes you even faster?

-bob

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I'd say it would. You can make your toplaoder act this way. Find a really good machiniest and have him dog ear the gears and syncro's. From what I have seen the shifting is rather violent. I'll stick to the clutch activation In a street/roadrace combo. But for a track car....that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the jerico is based on the for toploader but is all hd parts and weighs almost half as much as the cast iron ford trans. it can be set up for cooling pump also. supposed to be the hot ticket for the track. new are big $ but used rebulilds from nextell cup and bush teams can be found for $2000 to $3000 if you hunt a bit. i was quoted $2350 for a fresh rebuild with a shifter from a guy that pickes this stuff up. there are also warehouses that sell nothing but used race parts at deep discounts. cup teams only use the stuff a few times but it should last us guys a lifetime. if i can find the info again i will post the web site for the warehouse.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can fit all of the internals into a Top Loader.

The reason they work so well for road racing is,
1 fast shifts
2.Lighter
3.they do not break.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
If there's no clutch to control, how do you match revs on downshifts? I would think the clutchless operation would be detrimental on a road course due to the fact that you've lost the ability to match revs (no heel/toe-ability). Without that ability you run the risk of losing traction on the rear going into the corner and you have less control of the balance of the car. Can't see how it would help on a road course.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If there's no clutch to control, how do you match revs on downshifts? I would think the clutchless operation would be detrimental on a road course due to the fact that you've lost the ability to match revs (no heel/toe-ability). Without that ability you run the risk of losing traction on the rear going into the corner and you have less control of the balance of the car. Can't see how it would help on a road course.
I assume it is like nascar where the clutch is used on downshifts but not in go mode.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a G Force T5 straight cut dog gear road race trans built for my GT350R replica. This is the same tech as the Jerico, the G Force G101, and the Tex T101 transmissions. Upshifting is lightning fast without depressing the clutch. Upshifts must be deliberate and direct. Downshifting requires rev matching and clutch use or PERFECT rev matching without the clutch.

It's the straight cut of the gears and the dogs that allow the rapid clutchless shifts. Straight cut gears are much stronger than helical cut, and make the most beautiful gear whine.

I am switching to the 4speed Jerico (need closer ratios), so the 5speed is fresh and available. Contact me off list.

Best,

Henry V

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think the main advantage to one is not having to worry about wearing down mesh teeth like you would in syncro trans. My buddy has one in a 93 rx-7, the thing is a peice of work. He didnt pop the top for me but the shift rods alone with spherical rod ends on them are awesome. In the car the wine is not that bad at all, the biggest thing I didnt like is when you shift. It sounds like someone beating a peice of metal with a sledgehammer. You can literally hear the trans shift from about 200 yards away.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Jericos do sound terrible when shifting and the straight cut gears do whine but they are NICE!

I recently had the opportunity to drive a car (NASCAR road race car) equipped with one at Laguna Seca in an open track event.

It was VERY SWEET.

The thing to remember on downshifts and heel/toe technique is you're attemting to match revs so as not to upset the car, therefore, if done properly (which I cannot do!), a clutch is unnessary. It's like riding a dirt bike....

Remember as well, "most" racecars run lightweight (2 or 3 disc) clutch assemblies and little or no flywheel. That means there is less rotating mass in the motor to upset the car when downshifts aren't perfectly matched.

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/images/rrclutch.jpg

My toploader would have Jerico guts in it if I thought it would go undetected by the sanctioning body...

BUT IT WON'T. ::

So now I'm thinking about one of David Kee's Aluminum toploader cases! ::

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/images/newaluminumtoploader.jpg

Saweeet!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i know svra will now let you use the jerico but there is a weight penalty so the only plus is fast shifts and no breakage.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Ah! I'll keep my explodetheclutchandmissagearstill stay intact toploader.
So far my shifting has proven good!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts