Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '66 coupe. On the popular auction site, specifically item #2486608845, the seller is advertising an NOS scuff plate for "65, 66, 67, 68 coupe/fstbck". He notes that the part number is C5ZZ-6513208-A. But an assembly manual I'm looking at says the part number is either C5ZB-6513200 or C5ZB-7613200. The guy's rating is above 99% and I have asked him the same question. Did I miss something in the manual or is this item misrepresented?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The part that Ford put on the car during assembly would be C5ZB-6513208-A.If you had gone to Ford dealer to buy a replacement for it the part number would be C5ZZ-6513208-A for a 65/66.6513200 is the generic group number for scuff plates,regardless of car model.I believe that C5ZB-7613200 is the accessory sill plate that hooks underneath the scuff plate and covers the upper area of the outer rocker panel,but I'm not sure about that off the top of my head.The seller is not mis-representing what has.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
One of the numbers IS the part number , the other is the engineering number .
Notice the 65 and 76 in the two numbers , those represent the two body styles .
65 coupe
63 fastback
76 convertible

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the info. Djames..I see what you're talking about looking at the manual diagram. I'm just curious as to why an NOS part like the scuff plate with the Ford logo is not being bid on. I've seen them, in the past, go like hotcakes. But I did not pay attention to the actual numbers. I'll continue watching the item. Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm just curious as to why an NOS part like the scuff plate with the Ford logo is not being bid on.
In part, maybe, because it's one of the repro items that are good and cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm pretty thick skulled..but I'm learning. When I'm looking for an NOS part I'm looking for something made a long time ago by the auto company (or at least packaged for them), it's still in the box/wrapper and was probably purchased as surplus from a dealership or a factory. But maybe I'm too narrow on my interpretation. In one ad, I see the terms NOS and NEW. To me, they're 2 different things.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes - "new" and "NOS" are not synonyms.

Sometimes NOS parts are complete crap - like the fender badges, which often were poorly cast and had rough edges, flash, pits, and poor detail. Scott Drake's repros of these parts are invariably the next thing to perfect.

But there are a lot of parts that are not well-repro'ed, or can be erratic in fit and finish, and a nice lightly-used original or NOS part is a great find.

Scuff plates are a relatively low-detail, simple part to repro, and for $25 or so you can buy repros that are at least as good as NOS and sometimes better. In that case, spending out for NOS is either an attempt at a 99-point car or snobbery. :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You say "snobbery" like it's a bad thing. :: ::

·
Registered
758 Posts
You say "snobbery" like it's a bad thing.
Sure, we'd all love to use NOS parts from bumper to bumper... but the fact is that many repro parts are of equal quality, if not better, at a fraction of the cost. For anything but a concours restoration, NOS is like gold-plating your chassis bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts