Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have some scuff plates that i have been trying to clean i have soaked them and everything what can i use to clean them. or can i use that spry paint that leave s achrome finish or wil lthat not look good???

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
There has got to be a good way to clean those since I understand the repos aren't that great. I used soapy water followed by Windex on mine and they don't seem to shine very well. Painting them might look ok but it's bound to flake off.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
best thing to do is get the scratches out with some sandpaper. start with like 1000 grit and then a finish with 1500. Then, get some 0000 grade steel wool and polish them with Mother's wheel polish. It'll be VERY messy since black will come off when you polish with Mother's. When you get it looking good do a final polish with a rag instead of the steel wool. probably take several hours to get them looking good.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I agree with the paint, especially with most chrome paint. The ones I've bought tend to rub off.

rEgards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That's very cool. Tell me, though, Charles, is the end result worht that? I mean, it sounds like a lot of work, and was wondering in your opinion if the work is worth the effort, or do they just come out so-so. I, too, have wondered how to fix up these nasty looking sill plates.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you put the time into them, you can make them look damn near new. the hardest part is getting inside the ribbed areas. if i had some extra time to kill I would restore original sill plates before buying repro's. the repro's will look worse than the originals in 6 months. A little buffing pad on a drill works great to speed up the process.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts