Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m finishing up the assembly of a 69 302 and I’m down to adding the temperature sensor to the Edelbrock manifold and the oil pressure sensor extension and sender. What is the best to use as a thread sealer? I’ve heard suggested the use of Teflon sealant for the temperature sender but not tape for conductivity. Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
8,729 Posts
I use this...

·
Registered
33,894 Posts
Well, none should be needed as they're tapered NPT threads, but I use ordinary petroleum safe paste, available at Home Depot, etc., for use in LP gas fittings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed the temperature sensor in my 66 with a fuel injected 5.0 and used plumber's sealant from ACE Hardware. Cranked it down tight after applying the sealant to the sending unit threads. I'm happy to report no leaks and the temperature gauge functions perfectly. I did quite a bit of research on the need for sealant on NPT threads and found that some kind of sealant is advisable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It doesn't really matter if you use teflon tape (the threads cut through the tape to make good ground), RTV, etc. They all have the purpose of sealing the threads from a possible leak.

·
Registered
33,894 Posts
I have never had any trouble with Teflon tape.
The only "problem" with teflon tape is that some people think "if one layer is good, 5 layers must be great". That's okay, in theory, but the NPT threads are tapered so while the fitting might START to thread into the hole it might start getting hard to turn soon, since the tape isn't easily cut and squeezed out of the threads. In a quest to get it "tight", the force might end up cracking the boss... not pleasant when they happen at the oil sender boss....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also use teflon tape, and usually only a couple of winds around at most. I've also seen recommendations to always leave one thread exposed at the end, to be sure none of the tape comes off as you screw the fitting on and ends up loose inside the pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts