Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 66 mustang the front one does not have the chrome finish put on yet. There are some leaks & I have tried silicone which doesn't work well. I just tried some seam sealer which adheres better. I have a tube of 3M window weld ( 08609 ) that I got from Mustangs Unlimited, they said that will work. With the rear window I have removed the moldings and used silicone and the put on the moldings with limited success. I have owned a Falcon & a 63 Comet and have had similar problems, at least if I can find where the leaks are I can seal them rather that remove the glass and start all over again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
You should use 3M Glass Bedding Compound, 08509. Takes nearly two tubes per glass to do it right. You'll want to make sure all the other stuff is completely removed. Install the glass, pump sealer between the gasket and glass, then fill the slot between the gasket and the pinchweld. You have to install the stainless trim immediately after the sealer, so if the trim has to wait, don't put the sealer in until you're ready. The Ford diagram below shows how much sealer to use. If you don't use enough, you'll have to start over, so don't go cheap on the sealer.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
+1 and more on what 22GT said. Do it like the factory did - per his instructions. Use a new gasket if the old one does not clean up completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts